29

Newt and I were working together during physics a few days later. We were sitting at our lab table with two other kids Newt was friendly with, and Newt was talking all of us through some explanation of an extremely complicated problem. His eyes kept flashing between our papers and his notes, and the three us were absolutely useless whenever he asked us a simple question. After ten minutes of working in confusion, my mind began to stray.

I looked behind Newt and there was Finn. The sight of him disgusted me more than ever before, and I was happy to see a light bruise on his jaw. My face must have revealed my contempt, because seconds later Newt was snapping his fingers in my face to call me back.

“Anyone in there?” Newt asked, mirth dancing in his eyes. He knew I wasn't paying attention and he was still willing to try and help. His patience was insurmountable.

“What?” Newt asked me, still staring at me when I had neglected to reply. My eyes stayed glued to his face. “What is it?”

Maybe it was then, with the sunlight glowing around him and his kindness shining bright, that I finally realized how attractive he really was. Maybe I had known it all along, but had been unable to acknowledge it. He was laughing lightly at me now and the other two people at our table exchanged a knowing look. I had eyes for only him.

Newt took the tip of his pencil and pushed my jaw closed. “You’ll catch flies if you keep your mouth open like that,” he smirked, turning back to his work. I didn't have his discipline though, and I suddenly felt as if I had a new subject to study.