30

Detention after school was grueling. The teacher at the front of the room had collected all of our phones at the start of the hour, and as I never really did my homework, I had nothing to do but stare at the clock. Time passed so slowly I began to wonder if it was even moving at all. At one point I almost raised my hand to ask if the clock had broken.

There was the softest of taps on the door, so light the teacher didn't even look up. Had I not been so horribly bored, I probably would have missed it too.

I looked up to see Newt grinning through the window on the door. He waved at me then held up a finger as a signal to wait. As he bent out of sight, I glanced around the room to see if anyone else was watching. A few heads were looking amusedly in his direction.

Newt stood up again and he was holding some sort of sign. Glancing cautiously at the still oblivious teacher, he held it up to me with a beam.

It read:

WANT 2 GO 2 THE LAKE
AFTER DE10TION?

He held up another hand as a signal to wait again, then flipped the sign. This side read:

BREATHE FOR YES
DO A BACKFLIP FOR NO

A few light laughs murmured through the room, and the teacher looked up just long enough to send each of us a nasty glare. I looked back over at Newt who was still beaming, rolled my eyes, and nodded. As if I even had a choice.