Tale of The Single Pregnancy

Barbara looks up at her husband with glossy eyes and swallows the lump that formed in her throat. " Well I'm pregnant as you can see but I'm not in the first trimester like you would think due to my size, I am actually 5 months pregnant. We went to the hospital when we found out that we were pregnant. We originally used the home body scan. When we went to the doctors office they did the full scan and the blood test and confirmed that we were indeed pregnant. The picked up a small ring and pressed the side button and it expanded. The pulled the ring over the bottom of the levitating hospital bed until it reached my stomach. They had a blip on the hovering screen but it wasn't clear. So they asked me to pull up my shirt. That was weird to me. With the triplets they caught the heart beats almost immediately. Once they got a clear image they said that it was twins and that the other baby was shy and hiding behind it's sibling. We were to Jupiter and back with happiness. We started to get as close to organic as we could for the house. We went back in for the second scan and same thing our little ones were shy. We laughed knowing that the hiding child got it from their daddy he did the same to his parents. He hid all the way up until the day of birth. All was well though the pregnancy was going smoothly no issues with the heart beat. They had a feeling they would be identical because their heart beats were in sync with each other. They said only a trained ear could hear the difference that to us it would only sound like one." Barbara laughed a humorless and bitter laugh before she continued. "They said we would have to come in for regular visits every month which I thought was weird I didn't have to do that with the triplets either , but they are the professionals and I have had a couple of people that we had to do that with in my office as well. When we went in for the third visit we had been issued a different doctor and there was also a scientist that said he wanted to sit in on our visit if I didn't mind. This raised a couple of red flags but I allowed it to find out what the sex of our babies were. They led us to the room and started the scan, once our babies came up on the screen we heard again their heart beats in sync with one another. The doctor looked towards the scientist and the scientist stepped forward. He moved the scanner ring around a little and a perplexing and shocked look crossed his face. As soon as he looked at me it changed to one of surprise and an almost too giddy smile graced his lips. He asked if I had any other kids or was this my first pregnancy. We advised him of the triplets and he rubbed his chin and asked me the dumbest question ever. He asked would I be willing to sale my children." She paused to reign in her growing anger knowing that it would not help with the development of her growing child. "Of course I cursed him into another dimension. He then advised me that I needed to sign the rights of my child to him and his eyes got wide at his slip up. I asked what he meant by child didn't he mean children and that I was not signing shit. He took a deep breath and released it then he explained that the doctors had a mix up and because twins usually hide behind one another the mistook a single pregnancy for that of a normal pregnancy for a multiple twin pregnancy. I was beyond shocked he then proceeded to tell me that this child is the first in forty years to be born without a sibling. They needed to run tests to see what his genetic make up has that others do not. They wanted to test us and wanted a blood test to look into our ancestry to see if they had any single births in my family and John's family. They offered all types of things from colder weather to real food with no mutations. But they wanted to hook me up to wires for my whole pregnancy and to own my baby as soon as he was born. To test him for his whole life. Figure out his life span and if he is still capable of living a normal life like the multiple birth children do. I declined and they were so angry they started to threaten our livelihood so that we would have no choice but to accept their offer. They had us detained in the hospital for a couple of days before we snuck out and got the kids. We jumped in the old hovercraft you left for us and just drove. We left everything behind, we also left what ever coordinates were there and it led us here right before the last of the light speed stick ran out." We had a comfortable month and a half travel made some stops for the kids to see the world.

By the time she had finished her story she was a sniffling mess. Her friends looked at her with pride and sadnesses. The triplets must have felt their mother's sadness and they ran to her and jumped into her arms wiping her tears and kissing her face. Sebastian was wiping tears while Seth rubbed her hands and her pregnant stomach and Samantha was telling her it was okay and there was no reason to be sad. Barbara thanked them and told them they were the best kids a mother could ever ask for. She hugged them tightly and kissed all of their little faces one by one. They always knew how to cheer her up. She finally told them that they would be getting a new edition to the family. They were going to have a little brother. They were confused at the fact that she said a little brother instead of brothers but that did not stop their excitement. Even Seth quietly celebrated, he was happy that he was no longer going to be the youngest brother. It was late and they had been traveling for a long time. They were shown to the bathroom and they hit the night time routine simulator and put the children to bed. Once the kids were tucked in they went to sleep and had a dreamless rest no advertisements no nightmares just sleep. This would be the first night in their lives that they would be able to dream without their being some advertisement being beamed into their head. Tomorrow started a new day, the first day of their new lives and Barbara knew that with having her family and friends near her it was going to be a great life.

Authors note:
What do you guys think about it so far. I think I'm beginning to like the way that it is progressing.