chapter eleven

i heard the door open slowly. it was donghun. he ran towards me and hugged me tightly before leaving a little kiss on my scalp.

i started crying in his arms. i was so happy that he was there for me.

it was not long when he noticed me crying as my tears started to wet his shoulder. "you're okay, eui. i'm here for you."

"i'm so scared, donghun. what will happen to me?" i said in a shaky voice.

donghun let go of me and looked straight into my eyes. "i told you before, eui. as long as i'm still alive, i'll take care of you."

"but you lied to me before! you said you'll never leave me!"

"i'm sorry, eui. i'm so sorry." he said as he embraced me into another hug.

just then, i remembered something important. "donghun, where's jun?"

donghun took some time to think. "i don't know, eui. you're safe and that matters most to me."

"wait." jason suddenly interfered. "jun? do you mean park junhee?"

i nodded impatiently. "yes! park junhee. do you know anything about him, jason?"

"that guy was the one who pushed you off the road. he saved your life by putting his on the line. kirsten, he got hit by a mini lorry and is currently in icu. i don't think he'll make it, kirsten. the doctors who operated him just now said so." jason explained with his head hung low.

my heart started to ache. i felt as guilty as ever. i couldn't believe that jun did that after what i did to him.

"where is he, jason?" i asked in between sobs.

"i don't think it's a good idea for you to see him. he was the main reason you almost got hit again, eui." said donghun while shaking his head.

"you're wrong, donghun. he saved my life! i need to see him. i'm sure he'll make it somehow." i insisted.

"if i'm not mistaken, park junhee's in ward 2701 if you want to meet him." said jason.

i immediately got out of my bed. i didn't suffer horrible injuries so it wasn't that difficult for me to do so. as i was heading out the door, donghun pulled me by the arm.

"eui, where are you going?" said donghun, giving me the stink eye.

i freed myself from him. "i'm going to see jun. i need to. i don't care if it's my last time seeing his face."

"no, you're not!" donghun raised his voice and looked extremely furious.

"lee donghun!" i exclaimed.

donghun looked shocked. his jaw dropped and his eyes widen. probably it was because i've never addressed him informally before. i took the chance and ran away to the lift and got onto the second floor.

a nurse came to me, looking a little flustered. "miss, you're not supposed to be here."

"please help me. i need to go to ward 2701. i need to see a patient named park junhee. please." i begged shamelessly. i didn't care what people think of me. i just needed to see jun immediately.

the nurse looked around. "are you the patient from ward 4206?" she asked in a whispering voice.

i nodded. "yes. i'm lee eui."

"come with me, miss lee." she whispered again and took me to jun's ward.

i opened the door slowly as i was a little nervous. what i saw in front of me made me fall onto the ground and cry. there were tubes stuck all over jun's body. he had an oxygen mask on to help him breath. his body was also covered in bandages. however, bruises were seen on the uncovered parts of his skin.

"miss lee?" the nurse called.

i slowly stood up and sat on the sofa next to jun's seat.

"mr. park kept on calling your name throughout his unconsciousness. last night he shouted your name in his sleep, saying that he wanted to see you so bad. he was crying and screaming all night long that we had to tranquilize him." she explained.

i cried even more before holding his hand. it was all bruises and bandages. his face that i wanted to see so bad looked worse.

"jun." i called, a little shaky.

"miss Lee, i'm sorry but you have to go back to your ward now."

"no, nurse, please. i need to hear his voice calling my name. i need to know that he's listening." i said desperately.

the nurse sighed. "i'll leave you for now." she said before leaving.

i looked back at jun. "jun, please wake up."

"it's eui."

"you wanted to see me right?"

"i'm here now."

"sitting right next to you and holding your hand."

"please wake up."

"the slightest movement will do."

"i know you're still here."

"i know you're gonna stay with me forever."

"you'll live, jun. happily."

"i promise."

"just say my name."

"i want to hear you call my name."

"i want you to see my face."

"jun, please."

"open your eyes, jun."

"please."

"please.."

"please..."

i buried my face into his hand and kissed it a hundred times. i was scared that he was going to leave me. but i believe he won't.

"eui."

i immediately looked up and saw his oxygen mask no longer on his face. i could see his red eyes staring at me.

"jun!" i shouted and hugged him.

he coughed. "i'm sorry, eui."

i shook my head with tears still flowing down my cheeks. "there's nothing that you have to be sorry for."

"it was all my fault that you almost got hit on the road."

"no, you fool. you got yourself almost killed because of me." i laughed and he followed even though it was hard for him.

"i might not have much time to live much longer, eui. but i want you to know that i love you so much. when i'm gone, don't find someone like me. find someone who can love you and take care of you, eui. forget about me. please. i'm sorry I can't stay with you." he coughed aloud.

"no, jun. don't say that. i'm sorry for everything!"

"i promise you'll live. don't you ever say something like that."

"you won't leave me right?"

just then, a long beep from the machine on my left made me stood up and scream aloud.