✍ Chapter Five ✍

Five | Surprise visit

Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself- Coco Chanel

~•~

"Kemi, I need you to help me with something," Nifemi said as she entered Kemi's office on a Monday morning. She was wearing a sky blue shirt on a pencil skirt and her natural hair was packed up in a bun.

"Well, good morning to you too," Kemi retorted sarcastically.

Nifemi rolled her eyes as she dropped a large brown envelope on Kemi's desk.

"What's this one?" Kemi snapped using her fingers to point at the envelope like it was some absurd creature.

"I want you to please help me to give it to someone, I have a lot to do and I'm not feeling too well."

"Eehya pele,(sorry)" Kemi said giving Nife a worried look. "When did it start?"

"This morning," Nifemi coughed.

"And who do you want me to give it to?" Kemi took the envelope and starting going through it. She looked up at Nifemi and cocked her head, "well?"

Nifemi looked at her and smiled, "Nnamdi."

Nnamdi had not come to work for a week now and when Kemi asked about him Nifemi told her that he had asked for a leave to go and visit his sick grandmother.

Kemi looked at Nifemi like if she had just seen a ghost. "Wait come again. You want me to do what?"

Nifemi signed, "I know you heard me and I'm not repeating myself."

"I can't," Kemi mumbled.

"Why?"

"You know why!" Kemi shouted.

"Oh please stop pretending, you've been asking about him since I and know you miss him," Nifemi said smiling.

"No I don't!" Ahahn Kemi why are you lying?
Kemi signed and tugged at her clothes avoiding Nifemi's piercing gaze.

"Yes you do!"

"Okay I miss him a little," Kemi giggled. "But keep your voice down, you want everyone to know abi?" Nife rolled her eyes.

"See babes I've got things to do and don't worry I'll dm you his address," Nife paused and Kemi wondered why she was smiling mischievously. "That's if you don't know where he lives already."

"No I don't!" Kemi exclaimed. "I'm not some psycho stalker if that's what you mean."

She clicked her tongue, "Maybe, we can never tell."

Kemi hissed and asked her whether he was back to town.

"First of all he's back but he has two more days till he resumes, secondly, Desmond seems to think it's only him that can do the job well," Nifemi answered impatiently.

"Seriously you don't look sick to me," Kemi observed eyeing Nife suspiciously.

"So I should carry a sign board on my forehead which says 'Hey look at me I'm sick' abi?"

Kemi laughed.

"Take a taxi and be careful!" Nifemi turned to leave but paused at the door when Kemi snapped,
"Be careful for what? And I haven't even said anything about going!"

"Don't worry I'll take permission from Evelyn for you."

"Fine I'll go."

"You see that's why I love you," Nife said giving Kemi a peck on her cheeks. Kemi rolled her eyes, even though Nife wouldn't admit it she and Adaeze had the same character.