✍ Chapter Twenty-six✍

This is the last chapter guys. Sorry it came late. I can't believe this is it, the gif above is my expression rn...

Twenty-six | Love conquers                 all

A flower cannot blossom without sunshine, and a man cannot live without love— Max Muller

~•~

Kemi watched Nnamdi's body leaning lifelessly against the chair, heavy tears cascading down her cheeks unto her clothes. Only when he stirred slightly did she release a deep breath and prayed that they both got out of here in one piece.

"Now look what you made me do," Rita sighed deeply like if she regretted shooting at Nnamdi but the mischievous glint in her eyes said otherwise.

Kemi ignored her and rushed towards Nnamdi when her feet that were frozen to a spot decided to work—although she still walked as if she had two left legs.

"Stop right there and don't go closer," Rita barked at her impatiently.

Kemi stopped in her tracks and turned slowly towards the malicious being that was the cause of all this tension.

"And if I don't?" she asked not bothering to wipe the tears off her face.

Rita scoffed. "I'm not a bad shot Kemi. If I had wanted to blow his brains off I would have. Why are you seriously making this hard for the both of us?"

Kemi cringed at Rita's morbid statement. "Do you really think that I would run off with you after this stunt you pulled? Do you?"

She shrugged her indifference. "Pretty much, I guess."

Kemi took a heavy step forward. "I have always had a peaceful life Rita, surrounded by my family and friends. And, I have always dreamt of a peaceful life with my spouse and my kids."

"We could adopt," Rita chipped in not really getting where Kemi was driving at.

Ignoring her, Kemi continued, "And I don't plan on fuelling your stupid and selfish desires so I'm not leaving this room or this house with you."

"Like you have a choice," Rita added maliciously much to Kemi's chagrin.
"We could leave now sweetheart and maybe someone would find him here and take him to the hospital on time..."

Kemi was suddenly reminded of the presence of neighbors in this serene estate. Surely someone must have heard the gunshot or her scream and must have called the police but after all in this our beloved country only few people would think of that. She could probably take chances and delay Rita some more until someone comes across but glancing at Nnamdi's body, she didn't think he could wait that long.

"Or..." Rita continued cutting into her thoughts. "We could stay here and continue listening to your mindless babbling, I mean I have time but he doesn't." She pointed her gun at Nnamdi's direction and it took all Kemi's effort not to break down in tears. She rubbed her temples as it was starting to throb.

"Think babe, you don't have much time."

"Oh will you shut up!" Kemi yelled surprising herself and Rita.

"Oh don't yell at me. It's not my fault that he's in this condition." She smiled menacingly. "It's obviously your fault you know."

Kemi looked at the psychotic woman in disbelief and threw her hands up in frustration. The silver bracelet Nnamdi had given her last week caught the light and gave a soft glow reflecting on the window opposite where Rita stood making the latter move towards the window in trepidation.