✍Chapter Fourteen✍

Fourteen | Stalker

Putting my defenses up, cos I don't wanna fall in love. If I ever did that, I think I'd have a heart attack— Demi Lovato [Heart attack song]

~•~

Kemi was perched on edge of the plush sofa listening to her friend's rants.
The birthday celebration was being celebrated at Ada's father's mansion at Independence layout Enugu and the party was in full swing. Nifemi couldn't make it, she couldn't find a replacement for her regular babysitter being Kemi. So she had stayed back. She couldn't take the risk of bringing Tobi to a party—he would probably crash the place.

The sofas and chairs had been placed in strategic places in the large sitting room to accommodate the guests. The huge chandelier hung from ceiling adding to the cool ambience, the disco jockey had set up his studio at a corner next to the home theater. One could see waiters scurrying around like mice taking people's orders. The magnificent three tier caramel cake was the center attraction, it had a gold plated number 50 adorning it.

The turn up was much and that was the reason for Ada's heartache.

"I mean it's his fiftieth birthday not a business conference," Ada complained.

Adaeze, leaning comfortably on the sofa twirled her drink agitatedly. Some tendrils that had managed to escape from her hair held firmly in a ponytail, fell loose in front of her face. Her last minute choice of clothes was a blue sequin knee-length dress and a silver sandal— a gift from Kemi.

"It's his birthday after all," Kemi said trying to pacify her. Ada scoffed. Kemi glanced at the celebrant who seemed to be having a good time oblivious to Adaeze's complaints.

Chief Ezekiel Ndubuisi was looking regal in his royal regalia—a native shirt that hid his slightly protruded stomach, a red cap with a white feather and a walking stick, an evidence of his title as a chieftain. He was laughing loudly at a joke one of his colleagues had cracked. Adaeze had printed a few invites for close relations and friends but her father had secretly made more copies and shared it out to business partners and colleagues.

Kemi tapped her friend's shoulders and smiled.  "If it makes you feel better, that hunk over there has been checking you out for the past couple of minutes."

Ada looked up at the man Kemi was referring to. He was leaning on the wall having a conversation with a young woman, his brown eyes meet hers and he raised up his glass towards her in acknowledgment. Kemi waved back, Ada looked away and glared at her friend "Don't wave. He's handsome but not rich."

"And how do you know that?" Kemi asked incredulously. Adaeze could be stupid at times.

"Come on look at the way he's dressed. Who wears a blue shirt and jean trousers to a birthday party," Ada stated flatly. She put her empty cup on the tray offered to her by a waitress and ordered a plate of fried chicken.

"A man I suppose," Kemi  laughed. She gasped, "don't look now but I think he's heading this way." Ada looked up and frowned, Kemi punched her playfully.  "I said don't look now you ninny."

"Hello ladies." He greeted as he came to a halt in front of them. "You look stunning," he said while looking at Adaeze.

"Hello I'm Kemi Bankole." She held out her hand for a handshake ignoring Ada's glare. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"I'm Luke Chioke and the pleasure is all mine." He smiled at her and glanced at Adaeze.

"Sorry I'm not interested," she said waving off his outstretched hand.