21.

They walk without conversation, silence engulfing them as Apollyon leads the way back into the twisted hallways with blood red fire sprouting from torches, the fire providing little to no actual light within the hallway

  They walk without conversation, silence engulfing them as Apollyon leads the way back into the twisted hallways with blood red fire sprouting from torches, the fire providing little to no actual light within the hallway. The soles of Amy's ripped shoes clank and batter against the cobbles, while Apollyon's bare feet are completely silent.

  The corridor is vacant, voided, entirely lifeless besides Amy and Apollyon. Amy's mind can't help but wander off back into the pool of questions she has that's now running almost a mile deep. She reaches her hand in a picks something to ponder about, something that her mind suddenly doesn't understand.

  How did they find me? I didn't make any unnecessary noise...and I stayed out of their way, she wonders.

  "We smell fear, our senses as keen of that of a wolf," Apollyon states, answering Amy's internal question. "And right now, you reek of it," he states, turning his torso to glance down at Amy, whose sheepish eyes gaze back in catechism.

  "Lucifer didn't tell you this for a reason, he wanted to see how long you could hold up your focus, and based on what happened, it wasn't long."

  "Why my focus?"

  "Because when you're in focus, your abilities are in focus. You were able to coat over your scent without even thinking about it, instead your mind was thinking about your fear, so your power immediately covered it on instinct, to protect you from danger." Apollyon advises, now falling in step beside Amy.

  "You lost your focus when your mind wandered off, your power went along with it, no longer shielding your scent from anything...hence the reason why you were attacked, Amy."

  "You're saying that I was able to hide my scent from all the demons, without even knowing I was doing it?" Amy polls.

  Apollyon nods his head once, breaking his eye contact with the side of her head, now staring in front and down the corridor that seems to go on forever. 

  "Right now I cannot smell your fear, for you are in focus and are covering it." He pauses to let her process this statement, before asking something of her. "Do you feel anything different now? Anything that wasn't present in your body before?"

  "I-I feel safer...maybe even a bit protected," she says, suddenly feeling a difference that wasn't there before. "But I still don't understand...is there a way to keep up the covering, even when my mind is elsewhere?"

  "It is the first part of Lesson One that you will learn," he says, clarifying that it is in fact, very possible.

  "What is Lesson One about?" Amy pushes further.