38.

Screams and wails from the demons below echo all round

  Screams and wails from the demons below echo all round. The trees burning with an immortal flame that will never die. The cackling of the wild grass growing on the blazing hills runs for miles upon miles. Shackles drag on the cobbles as the Rakes and Blades fight to the death below in the castle court yard. Winged beasts swing from the conical roofs of the castle, their sharp claws tearing away shingles and bricks. Glistening lightning strikes at the mountains, erupting even more fire. Light burns from within the castle windows, seeming as if the castle itself were on fire.

  From atop the tallest turret, Lucifer stares down at the raging chaos below, his black feathered wings reaching high into the dark clouds looming above. A single feather falls from the bone, gliding down to the ground that seems so far away. His wings begin to droop, and they come around his shoulders like a blanket. Twelve more feathers coming loose. Lucifer stares at them in a gaze that resembles pity.

  He averts his gaze and instead stares down at his bare chest, his eyes tracing the scar. The memories begin to flood back, the barrier holding them at bay now destroyed. He remembers the crash his drunken father got into...not accidentally, but purposefully...in an attempt to get rid of him. He remembers the seat belt embedding itself in his skin, inching closer to his vital organs, the fabric feeling like a sword. He remembers his mother, and how she tried to take him out of the house, away from his father, and how she was brutally beat in front of his own eyes. He remembers running away, only to be found almost dead in a ditch.

  All the memories from the other side come racing back all at once...this means his time is close. The lessons are almost complete, and so is the cycle of the Two Decade Mantra.

  Lucifer changes his stares from his bare chest to his arm, pulling out his knife from his back pocket. He holds it firmly in his other hand and brings the tip of the sharp blade down onto his skin. He pushes it in, and brings it up, cutting a perfectly straight line in his flesh. He bites his bottom lip to hold back the grunts threatening to spill out of his voice box. The wound oozes with a black, sticky goop. He watches as it slides down his arm and drops down on the shingles underneath him. The black goop stops flowing from the cut moments later, and is instead replaced by blood.

  No Grå comes spilling out like it should, meaning that he cannot heal...meaning he's close to death; something that he's been waiting for for forever. A small smile possesses his pale lips, curving them up in a thin crescent shape. Lucifer gets to his feet swiftly, despite being on a roof that curves up immensely; one wrong step could mean the end.

  Involuntarily, his wings awake, moving briskly and smoothly back and forth like a bird. His body is lifted off the conical roof of the turret. His wings weakly work together to carry his body to the open window of his bedchamber. Before his there, a sharp agonizing pain hits his back, and he begins to plunge. He lifts his hand quickly and grabs onto the ledge of the open window, his body dangling off the side of the castle. The jagged stones scrape his skin as he pulls himself up.

  The pain grows even stronger as he pulls himself over the edge, unable to use his legs. His body slams down on the ground, his chest hitching and begging for breaths. Seconds later, echoing sounds of cracking bones begin to echo off the walls. Lucifer lets out a hushed yelp of pain, and rolls over on his stomach. Feathers fall from his wings one by one, hitting the ground and are engulfed in a strange flame.

  Lucifer's narrowed and glassed over eyes watch as the last feather hits the ground, the feather burning up. Now, theres nothing left but large bones extending from his back. They droop on the ground, heavy and limp, and that's when the cracking starts again.

  The bones split into two as they detach from his back all on their own, they fall to the ground as Lucifer's body violently falls to the ground, too. He lets out a piercing and pained scream as all the veins in his body become visibly black through his skin, blood spilling from the two indents on his back where the set of beautiful wings used to be.

  His screams grow even louder when a new internal pain becomes more prominent, his heart races as t feels as if his lungs are being shredded and ripped apart.

  His screams echo, every single being in the Mirror Realm hearing it.