40.

Days have passes, the spell still unfound, still missing in Amy's mind

Days have passes, the spell still unfound, still missing in Amy's mind. She pulls at her hair, reading and tearing apart the book from inside out, searching for the spell. It would help if she knew what she was looking for...but there's no hope in asking anyone, for the plan would fail, as he put it. Amy hopelessly stares paralyzed at the torn book in front of her, her back still aching in pain. She hasn't been out of her room in six days, and the Coronation Day is eight days from now. How is she ever going to find the spell in time?

She picks up a ripped page, her eyes tiredly scanning it from top to bottom; it also doesn't help that the damn book is in a language she doesn't understand. At that moment, a knock sounds at the door, and she's quick to scramble to get the ruined book hidden under the bed. Her heart beat picks up as she hears the door hinges screeching.

"Hide," She whispers and to her dismay, they move on their own, all sliding exactly where she wants. Her eyes widen and dilate in shock, she gets to her weak feet as soon as she comes face to face with Apollyon.

"The last lesson is today, and you mustn't be late," his deep accented and husky voice rings off the stone walls. Just as he's about to turn and go out of the chamber, he pauses as a flash of recollection flickers across his eyes. "How's your back?" Apollyon strides down the steps and comes closer to Amy, her dress even more ripped than before.

"For being a demon in Hell, shouldn't you be less...careless?" Amy sputters, speaking her mind without a filter.

"Yes, but I am an adviser, and one of my jobs is keeping you from dying. If you died then Lucifer wouldn't be very pleased with me." Amy nods, "Now turn around," Apollyon orders.

She pivots on her heel, her back now facing Apollyon. He inches his face closer to her back, slobber dripping from his outgrown teeth onto her raw skin; she flinches, but says nothing. Apollyon reaches a hand up and places a claw in the new holes in her back. She lets out a shriek, as the familiar sound of cracking comes back, and seconds later a pair of beautiful black wings sprout from her back like intertwined flowers in a garden.

"The reflexes seem to be responding," Amy can hear the grin in his tone as he pulls out his claws from her back. A stinging pain zaps all her receptors, within seconds they all go numb. "Your body will be sore for the next week. Your body is not used to having these resting under your skin, and it will try to reject them...and it will hurt terribly."

Amy gulps, "Is there anything you could do to stop the pain?" She asks, knowing that she can't handle any more pain, for if she experiences one more outburst, she would pass out and very well not wake up again.

"Keep them out, that's the only thing you can do," Apollyon places both of his tattooed hands on either wing, and they both flinch at the unfamiliar flesh. He runs his hands down the feathers, feeling each one and taking in the softness. He grumbles something inaudible under his reeking breath. "They're even more beautiful than they were last time," he says, this time louder. Amy turns around, pulling her newly gained wings away from his touch.

"You said something about the last lesson?" Saying that felt so refreshing. She's so close to being away from Lucifer's gaze, so close from being away from the man she still fears, even after the way he made her feel after that strange and unexpected kiss.

"Right, this way, Amy," he motions to the door, and out she goes with a certain glee knowing that this is the last time she'll have to step foot in that chamber until the end of her cycle.