Thirteen

"Keith, come get lunch," Christen shouts from the kitchen.
  "Yes Ma'am, just a minute," Keith shouts back. Keith shifts his weight in his chair as he types a paper. He finishes the sentence then stands up. He walks out of his room and through the living room. He walks into the kitchen and sees a plate with a chicken salad sandwich on it and a few cut up grapes.
  "Thank you for lunch," Keith says as he walks towards the kitchen table by the window. He sets down the plate, then sits himself in a seat.
  "Would you like anything to drink?" Christen asks.
  "No," Keith says and takes a bite of his sandwich. Christen walks towards a her bedroom door, then shouts inside.
  "Ashton? Do you want any food?" she asks.
  "No, I'll eat later. I need to finish my test," Ashton shouts back. He's hid himself in his moms room to do his school work.
  "Alright, the chicken salad is in the fridge," she says as she shuts the door. Keith finishes his sandwich and sets his plate in the sink.
  "I've got to finish a paper," Keith says and walks towards the case of water. He pulls a bottle out, then heads back to his room.
  "Chad will be home around seven, so try and have your work done by then," Christen shouts.
  "Yes Ma'am," Keith says and shuts his door.
  Christen and Chad took his phone away, along with his own personal PC until he gets back to school. Same goes for Ashton. They also weren't mad, but they also don't know the full story and why it happened. They thought it was just a fight over a rumor spread about Ashton, which was but wasn't true.
  Keith types up another five paragraphs in about an hour, then grabs his college algebra work, and starts to work through it as fast as he possibly could due to the time. It was going two, and he still had to do a review on each chapter of The Great Gadsby. He loved the book, but didn't want to do a review on each chapter.

"Keith?" Christen shouts.
  "Yes?" Keith shouts back.
  "Someone's on the phone for you? A man with the last name McClain?" Christen shouts again.
  "Hold on," Keith says, and he can feel his chest start to tighten as he tries to finish filling out a question. He stands up and rushes out of his room. He walks into the kitchen, where he was guessing Christen was.
  "Here," she says and hands over the phone.
  "Hello?" Keith asks.
  "Keith?" a voice asks.
  "Yes?" Keith asks, not really knowing what to do.
  "They're moving Lance's surgery up a week, and we wanted to know if that would work with you?" Keith recognizes the voice to be Lance's older brother.
  "Well, I guess. Does he want me to be there?" Keith asks, and looks up at his foster mother.
  "Yeah, I thought he talked about it with you. Did he not?" Marco asks. They had talked about the surgery, but never really confirmed anything between the two. Keith was planning to skip that day anyways.
  "We had talked about it, but we didn't confirm anything," Keith says. Christen takes this as a sign to let Keith talk it out, so she leaves to the back porch.
  "Oh, alright," Marco says, "Would you like to tag along?"
  "When is it?" Keith asks.
  "Saturday, November ninth. We'll be taking him in Friday night, but Saturday morning at six is when they're starting the surgery," Marco confirms.
  "I'll see what I can do. So, that's in about a week and a half, I guess?" Keith says, starting to mutter to himself.
  "You don't have to come on Friday, but it will be about a six hour procedure, and he won't go home until Monday because he has surgery on his other ear on Sunday," Marco says.
"Alright. I think I can do that. I'll figure it out and talk with Lance next week about it," Keith says.
"Alright, sounds good," Marco says, and a little bit of talking is heard in the background, it's a bit hard to make out, and is varying in volume, but Keith can make out his own name.
"Yes, I know," Marco says, and Keith can tell it's to someone else.
"Also, only me, Veronica and my mom will be going. We don't think anyone else will show up. Is that alright?" Marco asks.
"Yeah. I'll figure it out. I've gotta finish some work. If you need me, just call this number. I won't have my phone until Monday," Keith says and scratches the back of his head as he starts to pace.
"Okay," Marco starts, "Oh, and thank you."
"For what?" Keith asks, and stops pacing.
"For going, or at least considering," Marco says.
"Of course!" Keith says, "Lance is honestly important to me, so I want to be there." Keith is already regretting what he said, and his face turns crimson.
"That's sweet, but really, thanks. See you next weekend?" Marco asks.
"Probably," Keith says.
"Alright. I'll let you go now. Have a good night," Marco says and Keith can hear shuffling.
"Yeah, you too," he says, and Marco hangs up. Keith sighs and walks outside to meet his foster mom. She's smoking as she sits on the one chair that's left out on the deck.
"Thank you," Keith says, handing the phone back over.
"Of course. Do you need to go to whatever that is?" Christen asks.
"Oh, um, I would like to," Keith says.
"I'll let you go, but what is it?" Christen asks.
"A friends surgery. He's getting his hearing fixed," Keith states.
"Oh, wow. That's a big step. I'll talk it over with Chad and see what I can do. He should be okay with it," Christen says, and takes another drag.
"Thank you," Keith smiles, and a smile creeps on Christen's lips as she watches Keith do the same. She waves him back inside and he does as implied. He walks back towards his room and prepares himself to finish the reviews.

-

(A/N: Another shorter chapter, but I wasn't too sure what to do for it, I just know I wanted to do one on Keith and Ashton on suspension.
I plan to get into the surgery, or maybe the days prior to it, next chapter. It should be a bit longer.
  I also may have found an artist for my comic, but I would still love to see some of your guys work if you would like to try for the position! If you'd like to send me pieces either to try for the artist position or just for fun, PM me, or follow me on Instagram or Twitter @ trier.pluto and DM me!
-t)