Fourteen

"I'm leaving!" Keith yells and grabs his keys. He shifts his satchel on his shoulder as he runs down the stairs and he can feel months in his stomach. Why not butterflies? Because it's a bad feeling, a nervous one. He hadn't really talked to Lance much lately since the fight.
  He hops in his car and turns the warm air on. He starts to pull out of his drive way as he watches his foster sister flip around in their front yard. He then pulls onto the road and makes his way into Nashville.

He pays the lady at the booth for his parking, and then drives to a spot where he hopes he won't have a dent in his car. He pulls in then shuts his car off. He hops out and grabs his satchel. He starts to jog towards the exit and then looks around. He was looking for the hospital where Lance was going to have his surgery. Vanderbilt. His eyes cross the Vanderbilt Children's Hospital, the sign lit up in the night, and was hoping if he walked around that, that he would find it.
  "Keith!" Keith's head snaps towards where the voice came from. It was Veronica with her younger cousin, Luis, underneath a street light.
"You look a bit lost," Luis jokes as Keith jogs towards them.
"Maybe a little," he chuckles.
"So, are you nervous?" Veronica asks.
"A little," Keith says as they continue to walk around the building. They come to the entrance, and Keith watches as a few patients are signing out or signing in.
"He's up stairs right now, getting ready." Keith follows the two as they walk to the elevator.
"Marco and our parents and Sara are up there," Veronica says. Keith nods and Luis presses the button for the fourth floor, the doors close and they go up.
They walk down the hallway, and Marco is on the phone. He's talking in Spanish, so Keith can't understand him. They walk in the room, and Keith looks around, only to meet eyes with his friend. Lance waves and smiles. Keith sign's to him, asking how he is, and Lance signs back saying he's nervous.
"So what exactly is he having done?" Keith asks as he looks around the room.
"Well, both of his ears have a genetic thing, otosclerosis, and one has sensorineural deafness. He's getting an implant to bypass the bone in both ears, and in one ear a cochlear implant," Carla says.
"Oh, wow," Keith says as he walks towards the window. The curtain is open, and Keith sets his satchel on the window sill. He looks out over the city. Keith hadn't been to Nashville but two or three times, and it was only to go to the Frist Center for art conventions.
"He'll be going in around six for his left ear, which will take three or more hours, then on Sunday he will have his right ear, and we'll go home that afternoon," Veronica says, and Keith can hear Luis and Sara bickering quietly behind him. He turns around and looks at the family that is currently in the room. Carla and her husband are sitting on the couch beneath the television, flipping through something on one of their phones, Luis and Sara are sitting by the monitors that are next to Lance's bed, both bickering about some show, and Veronica is making coffee to the right of him. Lance has his phone in his hands, and looks like he is watching something.
"Hey, Veronica, do you mind if you could make me a cup?" Keith asks as he sits below the window sill.
"Yeah, sure. Cream and sugar?" she asks.
"Just cream," Keith says and starts to tap his finger on his chin as he has his head propped on his hand. Lance's cousins crawl up on the bed, Sara is next to him, and Luis is laying at the foot.
"Keith, honey, if you want, we got a room across the street, if you want to go sleep for a bit," Carla says.
Keith perks up, "Oh, I'm fine right now, Ma'am, thank you, though." Carla nods and Leith pulls out his phone. He pulls up Christen's contact, and starts to type up that he's at the hospital. He soon sends it, then puts his phone in his bag.
"Here you go," Veronica says as she hands Keith his coffee, "Be careful, it's hot." Keith nods and watches the steam rise off the top of the liquid.
"Me and Marco are going to go over to the room. Sara, Luis?" Veronica asks as she walks to the door.
"I'll go," Sara says, and she moves off the bed. Luis takes this as a chance to squeeze next to his older cousin.
"Alright, I'll be back before five-thirty," Veronica says, and walks out the door, Sara following.
"Okay, be safe," Carla says. Keith shifts and stares off into the floor, only occasionally taking a drink of his coffee. His mind is blank, and all he can hear is his own breath.
After what only seemed like thirty minutes, was actually three hours. It was heading on one o'clock, and the moon was shinning brightly through the window, and Carla had finally gotten up to turn off the lights since Luis fell asleep. Keith's thoughts of nothing were interrupted as Carla sits back down.
"Keith, if you want to, you can either go to the hotel room, lay up there with Lance, or come and try to get comfortable in the chair. I don't want you on the floor," she says.
"Oh, um," Keith starts, his mouth a little dry. "I'm fine here, for now. I probably won't sleep for a while." He stands up and starts to stretch. His back and other joints popping like fire crackers.
Carla chuckles. "You sound like a muffled firework." Keith chuckles in response as he turns towards the window. He looks out over the city, the streets not as busy, but still full of headlights and taillights. He starts to take off his hoody, revealing his old grey shirt that all of a sudden started to gain holes in it, and he sets the hoodie on his bag. He slides his feet from his shoes, and sets them there as well. He starts to walk back and forth, almost like he was pacing, but he was really just trying to get the tingly feeling from his toes and feet to go away.
Keith grabs his satchel, and starts to rummage through it. He grabs a small light blanket out of it, one he's had since he was a child, and then his phone and charger. He wraps the blanket around his neck, partly to be goofy, and partly to be warmer. He reaches towards the outlet closest to him, and he plugs in his phone. As the screen lights up, he gets a text.
Come up here with Luis leaves. Marco said he would come pick him up in ten minutes. Keith swore he could feel his stomach burst with the feeling of butterflies as he read the text. Keith slowly starts to think of a response.
No, there's not enough room. I don't want to crowd u. Keith turns of his phone, then can hear a small, nearly audible sigh from Lance, then fingers tapping furiously on a phone screen, and Keith's phone buzzes.
I insist. I tried to sit in the chair earlier, and I swear my back could die if I just looked at it. Keith chuckles quietly to himself, then sets down his phone. Not too long after, there is a knock at the door, and it starts to creak open.
"Luis?" Marco's voice rings.
"He's asleep next to Lance," Keith replies.
"Thank you," Marco says as he turns on a lamp by the door. He walks towards Lance and Luis. Luis is asleep, his legs both hanging off the bed, and his face I squished against the side of the bed. Keith took this as a good chance to give Ashton a heart attack, and he grabs his phone. He takes a picture, then sends it to Ashton right away, knowing he's awake. Keith puts his phone back as Marco shakes Luis awake. The young teen moans and groans as he sits up, and Lance starts to result to pushing him off the bed. Both Keith and Marco try to keep from laughing as Lance push's his younger cousin off the bed with his feet.
Lance was in his normal sleep clothes; grey sweatpants and an old tee shirt of his choice. Tonight's just ended up being an orange-red, making his skin look a peach-like brown. He had his hospital band around his right wrist, and a hair tie on the other. His hair was messy from moving around, and he had no socks on, showing his skin feet and ankles.
"Get some rest, you guys. We have to get up in four hours," Marco says, and soon leaves the room with Luis. The lamp was still on, and mainly aluminates the door and the wall the bathroom is on. Both of Lance's parents were curled on the couch together, and sleeping. Lance, on the other hand, was still twisting and turning to get comfortable on one side of the bed. Lance takes a second and stops as he waves Keith towards him. Keith sighs and walks towards the bed. The blanket he had around his neck was hanging off his shoulders as he crawled onto the bed. It was almost impossible for the two to both be able to lay on their backs, so they both ended up turning on their sides. Back to back, the two were finally comfortable, and the feeling of body warmth helped them to not feel as though they were freezing.
Lance had covered himself with the blankets on his bed, and was hogging most of the pillow, but, Keith, he was using the small part of the pillow he could, and tried to cover as much of his body as possible with the blanket he had. It was one that maybe covered two-thirds of him, so he resulted to just covering himself from his torso down, trying to use his large old shirt as much of a blanket as he possibly could.
Lance was the first to fall sleep. He seemed anxious and restless before he fell asleep, and Keith could tell with his constant fidgeting or foot bobbing. Keith soon fell asleep after, trying to use a little bit of Lance's blanket to cover his shoulder and upper arm. The two rested until an alarm went off almost four hours later, and nurses and doctors started to come to check on the beautiful brunet boy.

-

(A/N: hello guys! I'm sorry I didn't get this out yesterday like I was planning, but I got it out! I'm currently making a gif/video/edit for Lance month, and that has taken up a lot of my time the last two days, plus my sister's team tennis state championship tournament... I've been busy.
BUT, I had a ton of fun writing this, and I don't really know why. Sorry there wasn't too much talking, but I wanted to try and really make this something more than my normal chapters. Dropping a few hints to future chapters and future situations/stories.
Until fifteen, bye!
-t)

(P.S. go follow me on the Voltron Amino to take a poll on how I should change the cover picture. I'll upload it here in the next two days.)