Nineteen

Another few days pass, and Lance has gone back to school. He doesn't talk much to other kids, but keeps to himself and talks to Keith if needed. The inner part of his ears are still swollen, so he can't fully hear anything.
  "Keith, can you take this to the office for me?" Ms. Grooms asks.
  "Oh, yeah," Keith says, and stands from his seat. He had traded seats with another kid so he could sit next to Lance for the rest of the semester.
  He walks to Ms. Grooms desk, and grabs the envelope she is holding out. It seems heavy, like there is a book or a lot of appears in it. He presses the envelope to his chest with one art, and grabs a hall pass from the side of her desk with the other. He walks towards the door, twists the handle up, and walks out.
  The hallways are silent, almost eerie. Keith didn't mind a comfortable silence, but if it was a silence that made him want to look over his shoulder every five seconds, he didn't want that. The school itself was pretty small, but contained a lot of kids. There were shyly three-thousand kids in the school. The hallways were small, and classrooms were smaller. Fitting forty kids in each classroom was a struggle, and Keith didn't know how someone couldn't hear a group of those forty kids screaming from one of them.
  Keith makes his way down the grand hallway staircase, and then to the main school entrance where the office is. He walks in and can see some off the staff behind the tall counter. He places the envelope on the counter, ten takes a step back.
  "Grooms said to give this to the office," Keith says to the lady in front of him. He never bothered to learn her name over the last few years, so he always referred to her as the "Attendance Lady," since that was her specialty at the school.
  "Oh, thanks. You can head back to class," she says, a little short tempered. She takes the large orange envelope, and walks to the back of the office. Keith watches as he leaves, then makes his way back to the classroom.
  He walks up the grand hallway stair case, and is met face to face with Lance. Tears were threatening at the corner of his eyes, and he knew something was wrong.
  "What happened," Keith demands. Lance shakes his head and let's Keith continue up the stairs. Keith slowly does so, and looks around. He doesn't see anyone, but the two of them.
  "Lance, seriously, what happened?" Keith says, lightening his tone a little. Lance just goes straight in for a hug, no warning or anything. Keith is taken aback by this, but slowly hugs back. He knew something happened, but couldn't tell what. Lance was squeezing around Keith's neck like a snake. He was gripping the cloth on Keith's shoulders, and had his head resting on one of his shoulders. Keith kept his arms loosely wrapped around Lance's waist, hooking his thumbs together to not strain his arms too much.
  "Lance, please tell me something?" Keith whispers, keeping an eye out for people in the hallways. They were standing where the grand hallway and west hallway met, the busiest part of the school, most days. Lance loosens his grip, and leans back up. Keith keeps his arms around Lance's torso for a moment, until he got eye contact from Lance. Keith took a moment and looked at Lance's face. It looked almost red on one side. Keith grabs Lance's sleeve, and drags him into the bathroom. He walks to the back stall, and closes the door.
  "We're going to the nurse when we get back to class," Keith says, and then grips the sides of Lance's face. He turns Lance's head to the right, looking at Lance's ear. It was covered in, what looked like, blood, but also other fluids.
"Lance," Keith sighs. Keith examines him a little more, and notices his hand. His knuckles looked bruised on his right hand. Keith grabs Lance's sleeve again, and drags him out of the bathroom and back to the classroom.
Keith knocks on the door, waiting for someone to open it. Ms. Grooms opens the door, but Keith stops her from opening it all the way.
"Can we get a note to take to the nurses office?" Keith asks.
"What for?" Ms. Grooms asks, but then notices how Lance's eyes look a little red, and something was running down his neck.
"Never mind, give me just a second. You two stay out here," she says, excusing what she just said. Lance was looking down, uneasiness settling in. Ms. Grooms comes back with a yellow sheet of paper. Keith takes it, then the two start to walk off to the nurses office.
  The two stayed silent all the way there. Lance not wanting to talk, and Keith just accepting that.
  They approach the doorway, and Keith pokes his head in, "Nurse Brown?"
  "Yes?" The nurse asks from behind a wall. Keith walks in, and Lance follows.
  "It's Keith, I brought Lance McClain," Keith says, and sits in the chair across from the nurses desk.
  "Oh, hi Keith!" Nurse Brown says, and walks out from behind the wall that separates her office from the rest of the room.
  "So, what happened?" she asks. Lance acts like he didn't hear her.
  "I'm not really sure. He just got correction surgery on his ears, so I don't know if he can here you," Keith says.
  "Oh, alright," the nurse says. She puts a hand on Lance shoulder and walks him behind the wall to the small nurses cot they have for a bed.
  "Keith, do you know at all what happened?" the nurse asks again.
  "No, not at all, Ma'am. I just seen him in the hallway walking back to class and he had blood running from his ear," Keith says, twisting the truth a little.
  "Alright, well, it looks like a bubble of fluid was popped. I'm guessing it was caused by the surgery, and just got too full," Nurse Brown says, and Keith can hear her moving around and grabbing a few things.
  "Go and wash up, sweetie," she adds, whispering to Lance. Lance walks out from behind the wall and to the small bathroom next to the nurses desk. Keith listens as the sink turns on, and peaks in the small crack between the door and the door frame. He watches as Lance rubs the paper towels over the side of his face and neck.
  "Do you know what the bruising is from?" the nurse asks as she walks towards her desk.
  "No, but my guess is just from the surgery," Keith says, trying to cover up his real guess.
  "Alright. Well, I'm going to call his parents, and he'll be picked up. You can head back to class," Nurse Brown says. Keith takes a moment, the stands up. He walks towards the bathroom while the nurse types in a number on her phone.
  "Hello, this is Nurse Brown from Wilson C. High School. I'm calling about your son," Keith listens to a few words, then walks into the bathroom. He catches Lance's attention, and he turns toward Keith.
  "Hey, I'm leaving," Keith whispers, making sure Lance can at least read his lips. Lance nods.
  "Can you come over this weekend? I want to talk to you, just not here," Keith adds. Lance takes a second, looking down, then nods.
  "Alright. You can come over tomorrow afternoon or Saturday, if you want. Text me when you get home," Keith says, and places a hand on Lance's shoulder. Lance still doesn't look at him, and turns back to the mirror to finish cleaning up. Keith sighs, and slides his hand down Lance's arm as he walks out. He walks out of the bathroom and shoots the nurse a smile before walking out to the west hallway.
  He made his way back to his class, and didn't bother to speak to anyone for the rest of the day. Lance was taken home, then to the hospital right after, to make sure everything was all right. Lance never texted Keith until Friday morning, saying he was staying home from school, but would come over when school was over.

-

(A/N: okay, so I know I was talking about Lance's little story? I'm trying to fit it in this upcoming chapter? I'm sorry I haven't gotten to it yet like I said I would...
  Also, wrote this, this morning, so I'm sorry if it's not amazing, but what has happened will be brought up soon.
  Also, I did some polls on Amino, and I got Royalty and YouTube for the next Klance AU's I do, but I think I'm dropping the Royalty one, but I have a little surprise in place of that.
-t)