Fifteen

"Keith," a man's voice speaks, and lightly shakes Keith. Keith is still on his side, his shoulder aching from the position. He open's his eyes to see Lance's father shaking him.
"Good morning, Sunshine," he jokes. Keith chuckles, and manages to sit up without knocking Lance.
"Good morning, sir," Keith says as he turns to look at Lance. Lance is still on his side as well, but his arms are hanging off the bed, and his feet aren't covered. A nurse walks in with a knock, and looks straight at me, then at Lance's father.
"Mister McClain?" he asks.
"Yes?" Lance's father asks.
"We'll start to get him around, but you can either wait in here, or in the waiting room," the nurse says, starting to turn on monitors and grabbing different tools.
"We can wait here," Carla says.
"Alright, ma'am," the nurse says, and another knock in heard. A doctor walks in, and calls both of Lance's parents towards him. Keith is now standing next to Lance's bed, waiting to know what to do next. The nurse is still turning things on and setting them up, then tried to wake Lance up.
The nurse drops a cord, and attempts to catch it. "Hey, sorry to ask, but can you wake him up?" the nurse asks Keith as he manages to fix the cord and plug it back in where it goes.
"Oh, uh, yeah," Keith says, a little nervous. Keith starts to lightly shake Lance's shoulder, but Lance only shifts on to his back.
Keith stars to get agitated, and starts to pinch or flick different parts of Lance's face and neck. Lance soon decides to open his eyes, but it only comes out as a glare, and Keith can't help but laugh a little. Lance brings his hands up and tells Keith to shut up. Keith sighed back, "no," and continues to poke until Lance leans up. The side of Lance's Head was messy, and the same side of his face was a bit pink, showing he had a good sleep. The nurse starts to move around, and motions a heart rate device towards Lance. Lance puts it on his finger, then waits for the nurse to reach to take it off.
After about twenty minutes for taking small tests and data, a few more doctors and nurses walk in. Keith had grabbed his things and made his way over to the other two McClains. Lance was being moved around some, and they are finally getting him to go changed.
"Hey," Marco says as he walks in the room. Veronica, Sara, and Luis following him.
"You four are a but late," Carla says.
"Yeah, sorry. Sara wanted to take a shower," Veronica says.
"Yeah, so? I wanted to be clean. I smelt like hospital," Sara says defensively.
  "It's alright. He'll be back in a minute, then they're taking him in," Clara says.
  "Okay," Veronica says and sits on the edge of the couch. Only a few moments later, Lance walks back in, one hand behind his back, and the other hanging by his side. As he turns to sit on the bed, a few chuckles and giggles are heard, then Lance looks towards his family, know that they are laughing at him. Keith chuckles, then signs to him it's not a big deal.
  "We will take him back in about five minutes," a doctor says as he starts to mess with different cables and objects on the bed. Lance is tapping his fingers together, as a nervous habit. Keith walks towards him. He grabs his phone and Lance's phone from the window sill. He hands Lance his, then opens his own. He sits on the bed side, and starts to type.
Are u nervous? Keith taps send.
Yeah. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. Lance can feel his heart racing.
I have an idea. Can u wear anything in with u or hold anything? Keith asks.
I don't know about holding anything, but I have an anklet on. Keith looks back at the brunet, and he points to his foot. Keith hadn't noticed until now, but Lance has on a silver anklet that has a small blue shark on it that is made of a lapis lazuli, and the few small beads around it are made of opals.
Okay then u can choose how to wear it, I guess. Keith stands up, reaches into his bag on the window sill, and pulls out a ring. It's been broken, like it was cut, but it had a hole through part of it, and hung on a purple ribbon. It was a small silver ring. Keith had one think this at home that he kept under his bed in a box. He reaches for his phone, and sits back down. He starts to type.
This was from my mother. She contacted me about two years ago, and sent this with a note. It's for luck. As I was growing up, I had a small pocket charm with the same engravings on the back of it. I've used it as a luck charm unintentionally. Keith sets down his phone, and reaches towards Lance with the ribbon undone. Once finishes reading the text, and looks at his hands, then offers his left wrist. Keith ties it around his wrist, careful not to do it too tight, then tries to wrap the ring around the ribbon so it doesn't dangle uncomfortably. Lance reaches for his phone.
Thank you. The doctor walks in and Lance hands his phone back to Keith. Keith stands up, placing both of their phones in the satchel.
"We will keep you updated if needed," the doctor says, then a few more file in. One brings a wheelchair, and. Lance stands to sit in it, covering his backside until he sits down. The nurses start to take the sheets off his bed, and put new ones on.
"What did you give him?" Marco asks.
"A ring from my mom," Keith says and walks back towards the family.
"Oh, that's sweet," Carla says.
"I used it as a good luck charm growing up, I thought it might put him at ease a little, if he believes in that kind of stuff," Keith says.
"He does," Carla starts. "That anklet? It was from his aunt, my sister. He liked the anklets you would get at museums, or at zoo's or aquariums, and they all ended up breaking or getting lost, so my sister made him one out of her horrible crafting skills, and now he uses it as a good luck charm."
"Woah," is all Keith manages to say.
"He wears is either when he has a test or a big assignment, and even on a few dates and trips," Veronica says.
"I just carry mine around all the time, if I can," Keith says, a ping in his chest making him feel uneasy.

Three hours pass like an old broken clock that is off by a millisecond, so it gets stuck behind several minutes as time goes. Then a knock is heard.
"Misses and Mister McClain?" a woman walks in in scrubs.
"Yes?" Lance's father asks, "Is something wrong?"
"Oh, no. Everything is going smoothly, and no issues have occurred. We just wanted to notify you of time. He should be about another hour, then we can wheel him back here," she says. A wave of relaxation washes over everyone.
"Okay, thank you," Marco says, and the lady leaves.
"I wonder how delusional he's going to be," Sara chuckles.
"Hey, Keith, have you heard the story about the time he was in the hospital in middle school?" Luis asks. Keith peaks his curiosity from this question, but doesn't want to pry.
"Luis!" Marco says sternly.
"What! It's funny!" Luis laughs. "He was under anesthesia, and when he woke up, he literally came out to his parents," Luis says, then a smack is landed on the back of his head.
"You weren't supposed to share that, you dingus," Marco sighed, and a sign of worry flushed his face.
"Keith, if that makes you uncomfortable, I'm sorry," Veronica sighs. Her head goes straight into her hands. Keith is wondering what all the sighing is about, but realizes how awkward the air feels.
"Why would it?" Keith asks. He had no reason to be uncomfortable about it. He has nothing against it, and would honestly prefer if he wasn't straight, even thought he won't admit that to himself.
"Well..." Carla trails.
"If it makes it any better, and hopefully less awkward," Keith starts, but pauses, trying to really think if he should do this.
"I have a lot of gay and pan friends," he says, backing out of his original plan.
"Really?" Luis asks, teasingly. Luis already knew about Keith, but knew it wasn't his rightful place to share, since they weren't related.
"Yeah. Um, my best friend is a pansexual. She's more than I could ask for in a friend," Keith states. He could tell he was smiling mentioning her. He wasn't allowed to talk to her because of barriers that the school out between the two since the night she tried to end her life. They thought that it was Keith's fault since he didn't get her texts.
"That's pretty amazing." Keith looked at Lance's family. They all looks relieved.
"We don't really know what he's into, or if he's into anyone but stars, but he admitted he at least wasn't straight," Sara chuckles.
"It was actually very funny," Marco chuckles.
"I wouldn't doubt it," Keith says. He knew the family was bound to be at ease, now. He knew that this family was one that he couldn't be a part of, but really loves having them around.

-

(A/N: Hello everyone! I'm back with another chapter, and I'm seriously so excited but sad to announce that this book is close to coming to an end! There will possibly only be another five or six chapters, but I have a little story for the next one that a few people may have picked up on and might be curious of.
Hope you enjoy!
-t)