t e n o f s p a d e s

Deep night has enveloped the sky as we arrived at Annie's place. The car came to a halt and Martha told us to get out. 

I got out with my backpack weighing me down. I felt very tired and my eyes wanted to close so badly so that I can sleep. I clutched my dirtied scarf and sleepily trudged my way to the door. Annie was in front of me, rattling the door knob violently. Guess she's too sleepy to even twist a knob open. I patted her forearm, signaling her to step aside. She stepped aside and I reached for the knob and twisted it open. 

Duh, it opened.

Annie walked briskly to the nearest couch and collapsed on it. I stared at her. She was half-asleep and mumbling some things. I think I heard her say 'whoosh'. She didn't even bother to remove her mucus-covered hoodie. I looked over to a lamp nearby as I heard the door click. 

"You shouldn't trouble Master, guest." Martha said, pulling my hand. "I shall now take you to your room, guest."

I nodded. "It's okay. You can call me Mikasa." 

She tugged at my arm, dragging me to the staircase. "If you insist, Guest Mikasa."

Ah, shit. I thought. Just how annoying can she get?

But at the other side of my brain, it said something like this:

Aw, c'mon. At least that loli has taken a liking to you.

I shivered at the thought. Guess I'm a pervert and it can't be changed. Nothing will change. Nothing will change if my incompetence will still grow. 

Martha was guiding me by my hand to where my room was. Her hand was brushing softly against mine as she tugged my hand from moment to moment as if not wanting me to slip away from her grasp. Not wanting me to slip away from this world. My eyes started to droop and eventually close but I snapped them open every time I hear Martha's black, low-heeled shoes clack against the floor. 

I stopped, bumping my chest to Martha's shoulders. I looked at her as she twisted the door knob open. The door was nice and I think it was mahogany. 

Martha turned to me. "This is your quarters, Guest Mikasa."

I sighed, wanting to complain to her to drop the 'guest' thing but I was too tired for arguments. Also, she said quarters in a way that made me think maybe I wasn't really a guest. It felt more like I was a refugee since I was "arrested".

"Thanks." I mumbled but Martha has gone away, walking briskly down the hallway. I stared at her back, the fabric of her maid outfit(but I am sure it is her uniform) swaying right and left. I looked at my room. There was a bed clothed with a clean, white sheet. A window was there, making it possible for the moonlight to haunt me. A fluffy pillow covered in a white pillowcase rested at the foot of the bed. A small study table filled with nothing but a lamp. A small closet was on the far corner and a mirror was hanged on the left side of the room. Also, I noticed another door on the opposite of the mirror. Must be my personal bathroom. My room looked normal and new. It didn't look like it belonged to a fugitive so I guess I'm good. I sighed. I guess I'm welcomed to my new home.

I went inside and reached for the light switch, flipping it on. A small light bulb lit my room but the bulb was bright enough to even drive away my sorrows. A small smile spread through my lips and I slipped my bag off my shoulders and put it on the floor. I threw my scarf on the floor too, a bit worried that sticky mucus on the floor might be hard to remove. I crashed on my bed and slept.

A woman with dark hair...

Everything was watery and unclear. Everything else was hard to decipher. It was like a single drop of water fell on a peaceful pond and created never-ending ripples, making every single millisecond chaotic. I looked around the darkness that has wrapped me. Nothing. All zilch.