Chapter 15: i want fabulous

I slowly walk down the stairs. Im really nervous. Do i even want to know why my mom did that?

Paying someone to be my friend is just so unbelievable.

Its so cruel.

"Umm mom?" I ask as i walk into the kitchen.

She turns around with a smile. "Hello pumpkin!! Want a cookie!?"

I do want one but at the same time i should just get right to the point.

Eh screw it im hungry.

I reach out and grab one quickly taking a bite.

"Hun! Why haven't i seen Mags around lately? You have been gone alot, saying your with her but she never comes here!?"

Yeah every time i go to hang out with Jace and them i always say im with Mags because then i wont get the boy speech.

Y'know safety and all that awkward stuff.

She doesn't even know i have friends besides Mags.

All she knows is that i got stuck in a motel once with a stupid boy that had supper with us once and she thinks i haven't talked to him since.

"Well actually thats what i wanted to talk about..." I mumble looking down at my feet.

"Oh okay! Sweetie come come sit sit! We can gossip! Im really glad your opening up to me! Finally!" She laughs and claps her hands.

Oh gosh. She thinks this is ganna be a happy conversation. I kinda wish she was in a bad mood so that it would be easier to tell her.

Now i really just dont want to hurt her.

But i have to.

Because she hurt me.

"Mom." I say seriously so that she knows to be ready. "I heard something today. Mags told me something. I just want to know if its true."

Her smile is fading.

"What did she tell you?"

I clear my throat and say "she umm she said you paid her to be my friend. Then dad died and you couldn't afford it anymore."

Her eyes widen and she gets tears in her eyes "what!? Thats preposterous! I would never do such a thing!"

I can tell shes lying by the way her right eye twitches.

I keep staring at her waiting for her to crack.

.......

.......

"Okay okay i did! I thought i was doing it for your own good! I figured she would end up liking you once she got to know you!" She screams.

"How could you do that to me!? For my own good? Are you kidding me? Why couldn't you just let me make friends on my own!?"

"I didn't think you would make any and so i thought as long as you had one then your dad would ease up on you!" She admits.

Ha guess that theory didn't work.

"Congrats mom. It didn't work. I would have gotten use to not having any friends. I would rather have had none then to later realize, 10 years later that my so called best friend was paid to put up with me."

"Sweetie shes still your friend, once i couldn't afford it she never stopped being your friend! Which means she genuinely wants to be!" My mom tries but obviously she doesn't know what happened today.

"Mom. She humiliated me in front of everyone today. Why did you pick her anyway? Clearly she only acted nice around me."

"She did what? Why? I mean i picked her because I'm friends with her mom. She is pretty girly so we thought putting you two together would help you...."