Chapter Forty-Five

Emma Mabel

Emma rubbed his back in soothing circles with a frown on her lips. She watched his face move in multiple different directions as he spoke - all showing signs of pain. It was... difficult to watch. However, being one of Aaron's 'Emilys', Emma felt like she understood in a way - at least, she understood what Rosie went through. Something that Grayson likely could only skim the surface of.

"Three months..." Emma murmured softly, rubbing his shoulder lightly. "Rosie - she was a fighter." Emma determined quietly.

Grayson glanced back at Emma slightly. She could see the pain in his eyes and gave him a soft smile, continuing to rub his back. He didn't use his words to acknowledge her comment, and that was okay. "Nevermind," Emma murmured as she fell quiet, deciding to drop the thought.

"No," Grayson shook his head and sat up slightly. He turned his attention to stare at Emma, clearly interested. "Tell me."

Emma frowned softly as she rubbed her jaw. "I feel like she was a fighter," Emma said slowly, watching him. "If she was only there for... three months," Emma trailed off slowly, watching his reaction before continuing. "Then she likely didn't submit to him. Not... like me."

Pain crossed Grayson's face again as he turned his head away. He let out a slow breath and Emma was able to recognise that it was likely enough talking about that particular subject for the day. The woman pushed herself up onto her feet and held out her hands for Grayson.

Gray glanced up at her hands and made a slightly confused face before he took her hands. Emma pulled the man up onto his feet and began to drag him towards one of the largest windows in the house. She pulled open the curtain in front of the window and squinted her eyes at the Los Angeles lights. Simon would be proud of her for recalling her past - before Aaron. "When I was little," Emma started out, gazing out at the streets - more specifically, the night sky. "I used to believe that each star in the sky was someone in heaven." She said, glancing over towards Grayson. "I even picked out a star in the sky for every loved one I've lost, like my grandparents."

Emma squinted her eyes at the sky and tilted her head. "I miss the country for times like this," She murmured, complaining about the Los Angeles light glare that blocked majority of the dim stars. Finding the star she was looking for, Emma tapped the glass and moved Grayson over to point it out to him. "That star - the one right next to the Big Dipper - that's my grandma." Emma said, shifting her finger slightly. "Just below her is my grandpa."

Grayson shifted his eyes over to look at Emma, remaining quiet. She continued, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "I just... I like to believe that they're always watching over." Emma explained slowly, watching him. She glanced over back to the stars and blinked her eyes. "You can... pick out one for Rosie if you want. Or don't... It's stupid," Emma murmured while turning her back to the window - becoming embarrassed at the idea.

Reaching out his hand, Grayson pulled Emma back and shook his head. He gave a soft smile, a smile still full of pain, before raising his finger up to the glass. "That one," He murmured. "That one is Rosie."

"Right in the middle of Cassiopeia." Emma commented with a smile, glancing over at Grayson. Gray seemed fixated on the star, but he seemed... better. In pain, most definitely, but better. Grief was never an easy thing to come to terms with.

* * * * *

The following day, Emma ushered Grayson off to work. He was concerned about leaving her at the apartment, not entirely a surprise, but she didn't want him to be. She was shaken up after yesterday's events, of course, but she was bound and determined to be fine. She would make herself be fine. A few things now set her back after her encounter with Aaron, such as being hesitant around blonds again as well as falling back into her more submissive ways around strangers. Using some of the tips and tricks that Doctor Simon taught her, Emma was able to gain control over her life to a livable degree.