Chapter Fifty-Two

Grayson Todd

Well that happened.

It wasn't the first time Gray had been looked at that way by a child simply for being a cop—he'd done a school visit once—but it had been the first time he'd been mistaken for someone's husband.

For whatever reason, it had turned his cheeks a slight shade of pink.

After the child, Isaac, and his father Anthony had gone, it was clear that Emma was thinking about her career again. Eventually she murmured, "When d'you think I can start working again?"

Taking a sip of his drink, Grayson considered that question. Seeing as he was in Homicide and not Missing Persons, it wasn't exactly within his expertise as to how or when getting back to work, well...worked. But, he had a...general idea. "Well. Your therapist would probably be a better person to ask about that. But, as long as you both agree that you're ready to work again, I would think you could go back to work...whenever. Though." He lifted an objecting finger. "Maybe after this goddamn trial is over."

She chuckled in agreement. "Yeah, that's not a bad idea." It was obvious that she missed teaching, just from her expression and how she acted around her former student. Gray wanted Emma to get her old life back as much as she probably did—well, most of it, at least—so he would do what he could to help her get working again.

At least the trial was starting soon. There was no telling when it would end, but starting it still felt like something. The main thing Grayson was concerned about was getting all of the convictions. There was no doubt in his mind that they would get Aaron for everything he did to Emma, and at least for the kidnappings of the other five women, but there was only hard evidence of him murdering one; Aaron had killed all but Rose off-camera. There was enough there to send the former detective to prison for life, and one would think that would be enough, but Gray was a man of principle. Aaron might've been going to prison for life, but he would still be legally innocent of things he had definitely done. McFee himself had expressed this to Grayson with much regret, but his exact words had been, "Lose the battle, win the war."

It hadn't been reassuring.

"You're quiet," Emma commented, drawing his attention. "What're you thinking about?" It had gotten to the point where the two of them were starting to know each other inside out, and sometimes it surprised him.

Gray chuckled and shook his head. "Nothing. Stuff. Don't worry about it," he told her with a smile. Leave the worrying about cases to the detective. "So, this terrible Mrs. Rogers?"

Emma gave a half-laugh half-groan, and Grayson grinned.

The rest of dinner went similarly; chatting about things, normal things, and for the most part avoiding talking about the case or the trial anymore. They could cross that bridge when they got to it. Gray had forgotten how nice it was to do things like this, to go outside and be with a friend. Hell, to have a friend.

And to perhaps just maybe be slightly closer with said friend than any other ones.

He had a hunch the only reason he was remotely allowing himself to consider that possibility was because Rosie's killer was being brought to justice in the very near future. Last year, hell last month, Grayson wouldn't even have pretended to be open to a relationship. Not with his wife's killer still out there. That had been his sole priority. But with Aaron on his way to prison, and possibly even the needle....And it had been Emma herself to help Gray cope with his loss just two weeks ago.

But geez, last time Gray had been romantic with anyone was when he was twenty-three. He was thirty. He was rustier than...something really rusty. Plus, the last thing on Emma's mind right now was that, he was sure. She'd been divorced literally a week and a half. That's one hell of a rebound.

Not to mention, the living situation could already be seen as inappropriate in terms of the case, probably best not to make that worse; at least until it was over.

....Of course, what wasn't relevant to the court that they didn't know wouldn't hurt them.

Alright, let's not commit perjury shall we.

Grayson's thoughts continued to circulate in that general direction on the way home. He glanced at Emma as she spoke, "Well, that was nice~." She seemed quite happy, and that in turn made Gray happy.

He offered a hum of agreement and a smile. Suddenly meeting her gaze wasn't as easy as it had been before, which was both an old feeling, and a slightly annoying one. He was too old to be feeling like he was in high school again.

When the pair of them got home again and made themselves comfortable for the night, Gray found himself out on the balcony—a thing his old apartment hadn't had—and looking up at the stars for a bit. All these things milling around in his head made him miss Rosie, and the way she'd always known exactly what to say. Emma was proving to have that talent too, but she was new to Gray, and he would give anything to talk to his wife one last time; if for nothing but advice. Having a star in her honor definitely helped. And while he wouldn't talk to himself out loud, there were definitely things he was thinking as if she would answer him.

As expected, he was met with silence.

"Hey."

Gray looked around as Emma joined him outside, leaning against the railing beside him. "Hey," he responded, about to put an arm around her shoulders—a thing he'd done countless times before—but this time decided against.

Emma nudged him and said, "You okay?"

Shit. Why was she asking that. Did he not appear okay? "Yeah, I'm fine," he replied, shaking his head and smiling, as if that was a weird question to ask. "Why?"

"I dunno. You've been quiet."

"I'm a quiet person."

She rolled her eyes and nudged him again, harder this time. "I know. I mean quieter than normal." Emma nodded her head up at the sky and asked, "You missing her?"

Grayson let out a breath. "Always."

Emma put a hand on his shoulder. "I bet she's proud of you, y'know."

He snorted, glancing at her. "Y'think so?"

"I know so," she replied, nodding. "You avenged her. She'll rest easy now."

Neither of them would likely ever realize just how much Gray had needed to hear that. Though, he couldn't help but think with a tiny huff to himself that, as avenged as Rosie may be, she was probably annoyed with him, wherever she was, for having hung onto her for so long. He could just imagine her scolding him for not having moved on already.

But, taking a glance at Emma, maybe that would change.

"You sure you're okay?" Emma made sure, looking up at him.

"Yeah," Gray murmured, nodding and looking down at her. It wasn't often he really noticed this anymore but god she was short.

That was going to make this difficult.

"Okay," she said, though he could tell she didn't wholly believe him. "You would tell me if you weren't; right?"

Grayson chuckled. "Yes, Em."

Emma smiled and nodded, and was about to turn and go, but Gray stopped her. She blinked up at him in confusion, and looked like she was about to ask what the matter was, but Gray would never know. He managed to close the more-than a foot distance between them and pressed his lips softly against hers. The action only lasted a heartbeat, and his heart was beating fast mind you, but the feeling lingered after he'd brought himself back to full height; pointedly avoiding looking at her and staring out at the Los Angeles skyline.

What the court doesn't need to know won't hurt them.