You Should See The Other Guy

"How was practice?" Jace asked as Simon was trying to lock the door quietly. Simon jumped and dropped his guitar case.

"What the hell?!" he put his hand on his chest and turned to face his boyfriend, who was still awake. "Sorry. Did I wake you?"

"No." Jace said, walking towards him. On a normal day, Simon would have met him halfway, but not tonight. He picked up his guitar case and walked in the opposite direction. Jace turned on the light and Simon bent his head and walked into their bedroom.

"I got an interesting call from Maia." Jace said, closing the door and leaning against it, arms folded. "Did you guys have fun?"

Simon had his head in the closet. "Huh? Oh yeah. Fun. Yeah."

"Did anything interesting happen?" Jace asked, still leaning against the door.

Simon was still hiding behind the door of the closet. "Clary got into a fight. But it's Clary, must be all that Irish blood or the red hair. Or both."

Jace walked quietly to where Simon was trying to fit his body into the closet. "Simon, come out of there."

"I'll be out in a bit." Simon said, "I, uh, have to..."

Jace pushed the door so Simon had no choice but to come out. He ducked his head and made to brush past Jace to go and hide in the bathroom. Jace sighed and grabbed his arm. "Simon...?"

Simon sighed and raised his head resignedly. It was not as if he could hide it from him. He saw the expression on his boyfriend's face shift from mild shock to anger when he saw the black eye.

"Who?" he bit out.

"I don't know." Simon said, "It all happened so fast." He said, jokingly

"Simon..." Jace glared at him.

"Jace...It's OK." Simon said. "I did exactly as you taught me and you should see him. You'd be so proud of me."

"Who exactly?" Jace asked, his expression softening as he took off Simon's glasses and inspected the darkening bruise under his eye. "So I know who I'm going to kill."

"No, Jace." Simon protested, holding his boyfriend's wrist. "You promised. You can't keep beating up people for me. So what if Jordan got a lucky shot? We won."

"Jordan?" Jace narrowed his eyes. "We?"

"Clary got into a fight with Jordan and as he was about to hit her, I stepped in the way and got hit instead. Then Clary and Izzy jumped him. And...why are you laughing?"

"The three of you took down Jordan?" Jace was chuckling.

"He's a pretty big guy." Simon shrugged. "I thought he broke my face."

"I'm still going to kill him." Jace said.

Simon sighed. "Just-Just don't get arrested this time."

Jace shook his head "Not making any promises."

"I don't know why you won't stay home and take care of me." Simon pouted. "It really hurts. I might be blind."

Jace raised one blonde eyebrow. "I know what you are doing."

"Is it working?" Simon asked, smiling innocently.

"Fine, I won't kill him tonight." Jace said. "Let's take care of that black eye."