I Thought You Loved Me

Simon hated hospitals.

He hated going to visit people in hospitals.

He hated the smell of sickness, death and antiseptic.

He hated it even though his boyfriend worked at one.

It was no surprise that he was having a mini nervous breakdown when he was told he had to go to the hospital to get his tonsils taken out.

"Absolutely not!" he croaked, swallowing painfully. He glared at his boyfriend in betrayal. "I'm not going to the hospital. No. No. No."

"Simon..." Jace sounded tired. Simon was sick, so he didn't care. "Don't you want to feel better?"

"You are a doctor, fix me." Simon said, stubbornly. It was three in the morning and Simon was feverish and weak.

"I can't...It doesn't work like that." Jace said. "It's a minor procedure; you won't even have to stay overnight."

"That's because I'll die." Simon croaked, miserably. "I thought you loved me. Why do you want to kill me?" he sounded so miserable. He was hot and tired. His throat hurt and all he wanted was to lie down and sleep.

"Jesus, Simon..." Jace tried not to laugh. "You are not going to die. I promise."

"Maybe so," Simon argued. "But what if there is a mistake and I'll never be able to sing. Or talk. My voice, gone, just like that." He snapped his fingers weakly.

Jace tried not to laugh. Simon looked like he was going to fall over any second. "Simon, come back to bed. We'll talk better in the morning."

"No." Simon argued. "You want to get rid of me. That's why you are suggesting this. You don't love me anymore. Is that it?"

"What?" Jace sighed, "Of course I love you. And I can't stand seeing you like this."

"Oh." Simon sagged against the wall. "You'll be there with me?" He might as well give in. He wasn't strong enough to fight Jace on this.

Jace got up and went to lead Simon back into bed. "I'll be with you the whole time. I won't let them take your voice."

"And kill me." Simon said, almost inaudibly. "You won't let them kill me."

"Yes, Simon." Jace rolled his eyes. "I won't let them kill you."

Simon fell into a fitful sleep a few minutes later. Jace snorted fondly as he snuggled close to him, a shiver wracking his body from time to time. He relaxed when Jace arranged the blankets over his body and hugged him.

******

"Don't you feel better?" Jace said, after the procedure. Simon rolled his eyes.

"Yes, I'm fine." Simon answered. "Thank you."

"What for?" Jace asked, reaching for Simon's hand.

"I was a bit of a drama queen about this...this..." Simon said. "I know I made it hard for you."

"Nah." Jace said, kissing his cheek. "It was easy. Hard would mean getting Alec. We didn't need him."

"Oh thank God." Simon smiled. "Can we go home now?"

Jace grinned, "Do you still...?"

"Yes, yes I do." Simon resisted the urge to shudder. Barely. "The possibility of me dying grows with every second I'm still here."

"I don't know if I should be upset that you think I'd let you die or I should just feel sorry for you." Jace said, leading the way out of the hospital.

"You could take me for ice cream?" Simon said. He flinched as a trolley was wheeled past them. "The sooner the better."

jace laughed at his reaction. "You are crazy, Lewis."

"What's your point?" Simon asked, reaching for Jace's hand as a man was rushed in holding his bloody hand to his chest. Jace squeezed back at the sound he made.

"Just let me..." Jace started. And Simon nodded quickly. 

"I'll wait in the car." he said and practically fled.

He really, really hated hospitals.