A Puppy for Jace

Happy New Year! 

Here's a tiny little drabble i wrote during the holidays. My boys and puppy dogs. 

*******

Jace frowned in his sleep as he felt soft, feathery touches on his face. He turned away from the disturbance but still the touches followed. He slowly started to wake up and he could smell mint, coffee and...food.

He slowly opened his eyes and caught Simon pressing a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Simon..." he growled.

"Oh, did I wake you?" Simon asked, innocently. Jace arched one blond eyebrow at his boyfriend. Really?

Simon grinned down at him. "I got you coffee." He said excitedly. He turned and picked up a mug from the tray. Jace grumbled as he sat up in bed.

"It's Saturday." He whined. "I always sleep in on Saturdays."

"But I missed you." Simon pouted as he handed him his mug of coffee. Jace rolled his eyes.

"We went out last night." Jace said, sipping his coffee.

"That was three days ago." Simon said dryly, picking up a tray and placing it on his lap. There were two plates of toast, bacon and eggs on it. Jace reached for one of the plates and Simon smacked his hand. "Teeth...then breakfast."

Jace glared at him but obeyed. He placed his mug on the nightstand and walked into the en suite bathroom to brush his teeth. He heard Simon leave the room and shook his head.

He had been a little, OK a lot, busy recently. He had been neglecting Simon a lot too but the good news was that he was almost done with everything. By the time he was done, he would have his own...he shook his head. He didn't want to think about work now. Considering the fact that Simon had gone out of his way to make him breakfast in bed.

Jace grinned and shook his head. His dork was amazing. Breakfast in bed of all things.

He got back into the bedroom and found Simon chewing on his thumb nervously. He was sitting on the bed, legs crossed. His eyes brightened when Jace climbed back into bed. He grinned and placed the tray gently on Jace's lap.

"Breakfast is served." He said, smiling.

Jace laughed. "What's the occasion? I didn't forget anything, did I?"

"Can't a boy make his boyfriend breakfast in bed anymore?" Simon asked, leaning against the headboard and sitting next to Jace, so their shoulders were touching.

"Don't get me wrong, babe." Jace said. "I love it."

"You'd better." Simon said. "I woke up early to do all this. And you know how hopeless I am in the kitchen."

"What did you do to my kitchen?" Jace asked.

"Your precious kitchen is safe." Simon said, rolling his eyes. "I even cleaned up afterwards."

Jace stared at his boyfriend incredulously. "Is it my birthday? You never clean...OK, who are you and what did you do with Simon?"

"Ha ha." Simon mocked. "I can be a fre-, I mean, I'm not that bad."

Jace laughed and kissed him. "Sorry. This is great. And I'm not a freak. I just like things clean." Simon beamed and his eyes looked at a spot behind Jace and he swallowed nervously.

Jace turned and saw a...puppy. It was a stocky looking thing, all black with a white patch on its ear. It sat down and stared at Jace with its tongue lolling out.

"Simon?" Jace said, looking at the puppy, which was really cute. "Why is there a strange puppy in our room?"

"What? Oh." Simon squeaked. "Oh, that's...well, I was thinking you'd name him. I got him for you."

"You got me a...what breed is he?" Jace asked, still looking at the puppy.

"I-I'm not sure." Simon said shakily. "I saw him and thought of you. So I got him."

Jace tore his eyes away from the puppy and looked at Simon, who was chewing on his thumb again. "We already have a dog, Simon."

Simon's six year old Chihuahua 'Lita or like Jace liked to call her; The Spawn of Satan had been like the unwanted relative he was forced to live with. She hated him and the feeling was mutual. She growled at him whenever he was close to her and she'd bitten him once when he made the mistake of kissing Simon, while she was in the latter's lap. She had chewed on his shoes and shirts.

Yeah, he hated her.

"Yeah, we do." Simon replied nervously. "But since she hasn't warmed up to you yet and let's face it, she probably never will, I thought you might like one too. And he's so cute."

Jace looked at the puppy who still stared at him goofily. Jace snorted slightly. He was cute. "You got him for me?"

"Yeah." Simon said uncertainly. "Do you like him?"

Jace stared at the adorable canine. "Vader...." He murmured.

"What?" Simon asked, slight panic in his voice.

"I'll call him Vader." Jace said smiling. "Thank you. He's perfect."

Simon almost sagged with relief. "This is the first present I have ever gotten for you that you actually liked."

"That's not true." Jace argued, eating his breakfast. "I liked the, uh, song! Yeah! The song you wrote for me. I loved it."

"Fine. Second thing." Simon conceded, leaning against Jace. "'Lita's got a brother now."

"Keep that diva away from my dog." Jace growled.

"She actually likes him." Simon said. "They slept in her bed. It was so cute. I have pictures."

"Of course you do." Jace murmured. Eyeing Vader he said. "Barely here and you're consorting with the enemy. I'm disappointed in you."

Vader yipped and leaped on to the bed, landing on Jace's legs. Jace laughed as the puppy sniffed at his meal. He scratched the dog behind his ear and grinned when the puppy sighed.

He heard Simon's camera go off again. "For posterity." Simon said, grinning.