Got Me Feeling

"Simon..." Jace was tired. And annoyed. "It's been two weeks, are you going to ignore me forever."

Simon muttered something but didn't look up from his phone. They were waiting for Izzy and Clary at the bar and they were late.

"I said I was sorry." Jace tried again. Simon looked up from his phone at him. The look was so cold, Jace winced a little. "I was just looking out for you."

"By making out with my date?" Simon finally snapped. "In what deluded version of reality is that 'looking out for me'?"

"At least you know he was just a douchebag." Jace said, willing his friend to see it from his point of view.

"You're the douchebag." Simon said, picking up his phone and going back to ignoring him. Jace sighed exasperatedly. "Simon..."

"Jace, enough." Simon snapped. "I'm sick and tired of you ruining things for me. It was funny back in high school. Now it's just annoying. I's like you just enjoy messing with me."

Jace gaped at his friend. How could he not get it?

Jace had been half in love with Simon the first time they met. But Simon was in a relationship with some girl so Jace was fine just being his friend. He was there when Simon got dumped. He was there when Simon told him that he thought he liked boys too. Then, Jace was excited and thought at least this way he'd have a chance with Simon, but then Simon started to crush on a guy in their History class who was dating a senior. Simon didn't know that, but Jace did. He watched from the sidelines when Simon summoned the courage to ask the guy out.

It was brutal.

But Jace was there for him.

It was then that Jace decided to single handedly sabotage all of Simon's dates. At least, the ones he was aware of. Simon, the sneaky nerd, went to Colombia just before they went college and came back with a fucking boyfriend.

One stupid drunken night, Jace made out with the guy and the idiot broke up with Simon, thinking he had a chance with Jace. Of course he didn't and heartbroken the guy left.

Not that Jace cared or anything but he was worried for a long time that the guy would spill the beans about what happened somehow. It had been three years, and no word. So he figured he was fine.

"I'm sorry." Jace said, softly. Suddenly he was tired. Standing up he said. "Tell the girls something came up. I'll see you later."

"Oh no." Simon said, grabbing his wrist and pulling him back down. "You are not leaving me alone with them. Sit your ass down."

Jace sat down.

Simon looked at him for a few seconds over his glasses and chuckled. "He was a bit of a douchebag wasn't he?"

Jace sighed, relieved. "The worst. I really am sorry."

"It's fine." Simon waved his hand dismissively. "I wasn't really feeling it anyway."

Jace knew that was a lie. Ever since he knew Simon, he wore his heart on his sleeve. He was very open. When he fell, he fell hard. And he actually liked the douchebag he was dating. Until...

He wasn't going to think about that.

"Just...Just stop it, OK, Jace?" Simon said softly. "Unlike you, I like the idea of being with someone for real. I don't need you messing things up."

Jace wanted to slam his fists on the table and yell at Simon. Why wouldn't he see him? Jace had been there longer than anyone Simon had dated. He knew Simon better than anyone. He was his best friend. A shitty best friend, granted. But he knew he couldn't stand aside while Simon dated jerks.