My Hero

He was 15 the first time he met Simon Lewis.

He was walking home from school when a group of guys ambushed him. They had started by calling him names ranging from "pretty boy" to "fag". Jace had ignored them and just walked on. Then one of them said something about his mother and Jace made the mistake of turning to face the bullies.

The first punch came out of nowhere. He couldn't even remember what he had said but it was enough to get jumped by four high school bullies. He was curled on his side, taking the beating when he heard a voice shouting "Hey, leave him alone."

The way the bullies laughed didn't ease his pain or panic. "Or what Lewis?" One of the boys asked. "What will you do?"

"I, uh..." Jace cursed and tried to move away, while they were distracted. The sharp pain in his middle stopped him. If he wasn't mistaken, his "savior" was Simon Lewis, his sister's best friend's...something. The three of them had become best friends when he and his sister had started school.

"Yo, Quinn..." One of the bullies said, laughing. "Maybe he came to save his boyfriend."

Quinn laughed, the sound dangerous. "Is that so, Lewis? I always knew you were gay but I didn't know you were Lightwood's type."

"Don't be stupid, I'm not gay." Simon blurted out and Jace rolled his eyes. This fool was going to get himself killed. He never knew when to shut up. At that point Jace cursed every decision he had made that led to him being in that position.

"What did you say, fag?" Quinn asked, amusement gone from his tone. "Did you just call me stupid?"

"No." Simon said, shakily. Jace opened his eyes and saw three of the boys advancing on him slowly. He was a scrawny little guy with wild brown hair and glasses. He was wearing baggy jeans and one of those ridiculous graphic tshirts that Jace didn't get. At the moment he looked terrified, his eyes shifting between Jace and the bullies. "I told you not to be stupid. You see, it's not really an insult, more of an advice?"

Jace closed his eyes again. Yeah, Simon Lewis had no sense of self preservation.

Jace eyes shot open when he heard the sound of flesh hitting flesh and a pained groan. Simon was on his side; his glasses were nowhere to be found. Then one of the boys picked him up and Jace saw him holding his left arm close to his stomach. He struggled to sit up. "Hey Quinn? I thought this was my party. Why are you bringing Lewis into this?"

"Oh, don't worry, Goldilocks." Quinn said snidely. "I haven't forgotten you." He punched Simon in the stomach and turned to grab Jace by his hair. "I have plans for you."

"Hey!" Jace had never been so happy to hear his older brother's voice. Quinn and his friends scattered as Alec got closer. "Damn it, Jace. Making friends already?"

"You know it." Jace said, his voice strained with pain. "What took you so long?" Alec rolled his eyes and helped him up. Jace looked over at Simon, who was shakily trying to find his glasses, his arm pressed to his side. "You OK, Lewis?"

Alec turned and saw Simon. "Jesus, you too?"

"Hey Alec." Jace admonished weakly, leaning against his brother. "Simon saved my life."

"How?" Alec asked. "He looks worse off than you."

"Hey!" Simon said, a small smile mixed with a grimace of pain. "It seemed like a good idea at the time."