Chapter 28

So far, Kadyn prefers to be on his own, while Thea wants to be held all the time. I also noticed that Kadyn has a birthmark on his right hip in the shape of a crescent moon. I think it looks cool, but I also have a weird feeling about it. It could just be my paternal instincts kicking in and I'm overthinking everything, though.

I just don't want anyone but Rigg around Kadyn right now. I even watch Lyra like a hawk when she holds him. And when the nurses check on him, I have to watch, just to make sure he is okay. Rigg hasn't said a thing about it, but Lyra already told me I have a natural protective instinct. Then she laughed and said I was going to make Kadyn hate me already since I'm keeping such a close eye on him and by holding him all the time.

I don't really care, though. I just want to hold him and make sure he is safe. I cannot wait to take him home where there will only be me, Alaska, Rigg, and Lyra at home. I will be able to relax knowing Kadyn will be safe and with trusting people.

Kadyn was also the first one out of the incubator. He only spent three days in the incubator. Thea, on the other hand, is going onto day five of being in the incubator. She absolutely hates going back into the incubator after feedings and diaper changes. Kadyn loved it in the incubator, though. I can already figure out their personalities and they are only five days old.

Kadyn prefers to be on his own and likes to sleep. He's also pretty quiet too. When he needs his diaper changed he doesn't make a single sound. When he is hungry he only makes whimpering noises.

Thea prefers to be held. She hates the incubator and fights sleep. She wants to be awake and looking at everything already. She is already so curious and she's only five days old. She likes to make as many gurgling noises as she can and likes to cry when she is put down. She also likes to eat. I can already tell, Thea is going to be a handful.

We've also been bottle feeding with Lyra providing the milk. Lyra decided it would be too much with twins to try and feed on the breast. With Rigg and me being the sole providers of Thea and Kadyn, it's just easier if Lyra pumps and we make the bottles. It will make the late night, early morning, feedings easier for everyone.

"Seriously, Oliver," Lyra grumbles as I hold Kadyn close to my chest. "He's going to get so sick of you,"

I barely glance at her. "I don't care," I grumble back.

"Or they'll form a strong bond," Rigg says as he leans against the wall next to me.

Kadyn currently lays against my chest staring up at me. I can't get enough of him. I just want to stare at him and Thea all day. I can't hold Thea as long as I'd like to, though, due to her needing to be in the incubator. The doctor says another day or two and she should be good to come out of it. Coming out of the incubator will make her extremely happy, which in turn will make me happy. It will also mean I can hold her more.

Kadyn has the same green eyes as me. The exact same piercing green. They could still change, though. I'm hoping they don't change, though. Thea has Lyra's light gray eyes. I have a feeling Thea will take a lot after Lyra. Not that it's a bad thing, Lyra is beautiful. Lyra can have an attitude, though, and can be extremely stubborn. I'll love Thea no matter what though, even if she is a stubborn pup with an attitude problem.

A sudden knock on the door has the hair on the back of my neck rising. My body goes rigid in defense as my arms tighten around Kadyn's small infant body and pull him impossibly close to my chest. My whole body is in protective mode, ready to defend my two defenseless pups.

I sniff the air as the door cracks open. The familiar scents have my body going even more rigid. Why are they here? How did they know we were here? What are they going to say? I mentally prepare myself for the onslaught that is coming.