Ch. 1

< -- one -- >

< -- one -- >

· ·

Eyes closed and head down I tried to figure out how the hell did I get myself in detention with only two weeks of school left. The blame could easily - and I mean easily, go to Griffin but Principle Howard insisted that it was my fault because I threw the first punch. Little to Principle Howard's knowledge I witnessed Griffin roll around saliva in his mouth before spitting it at Ethan's head.

I may not be the friendliest person at Colonial High but bullying was something I never tolerated. I hated to see it and I hated when it was done to me in elementary. Once my older brother Cas taught me how to stand up to my bullies, they left me alone. Granted, my string of suspensions began at the early age of nine and my parents threatened to send me off to boarding school more than once but word quickly got around and I was left alone.

I wasn't pissed that I had detention instead of Ethan. I was pissed because Griffin somehow weaseled his way out of it . . . again. That douche created trouble almost everyday and yet somehow managed to never actually get in trouble. Those who were not blind knew that Principle Howard was currently dating Griffin's aunt and trying to stay in her good gracious.

Either way it didn't matter why I threw the first punch since my parents thought I was acting out and getting in trouble so much because of Cas' death which was the exact opposite. I stopped talking to people because of the sadness in their eyes. The way they would try and read into my silence as if I would just open my mouth and spew all my feelings over their shirt. Most of all I hated the way they would stare at the way I hid my arm.

My brother's death did a lot of damage to me but Ethan is my friend. He may be a skinny little dork that can't see without his thick bifocals and carries almost all of his books for every class so he doesn't have to stop at his locker, but he's my friend.

Ethan and I met a month after Cas' funeral. I had witnessed Griffin trip Ethan making his stack of books fly everywhere and no one moved to help. The fight ended rather quickly due to a few teachers that were walking by and according to Griffin's words to my parents and the principal, he didn't want to hit the kid with one arm whose brother just died. 

Yeah the fuck right

Ethan was in the library when my punishment was to come to school early and help our librarian organize the shelves and do anything else she needed. After peeking at me through the shelves I may have yelled at him to stop looking at me but then he stuttered a thank you and offered me a ride home. Two years later I can still call him my best friend.

"Mr. Crawford lift your head please." Our detention teacher, Mr. Santos ordered lazily. He sounded exactly how I felt. Tired of being here and it had only been thirty minutes.