Chapter 23: Rei's "Plans"

"I like Hikaru."

Hikaru's logic refused to believe what he just heard, because he knew Rei never had any romantic feelings towards anyone, he even doubt she knew what 'love' or 'liking someone' is. However, it seems that his feelings betrayed his head, as he could feel his cheeks burning up.

While Hikaru had his inner debate between his mind and feelings, Rei's brow furrowed, "Wait, that doesn't seem right."

Those words snapped Hikaru from his inner debate.

"I mean, I do like Hikaru, Hikaru is a good friend. Hikaru is kind and patient too. But..." Rei continued while thinking the right word to describe her feelings to Hikaru.

Hikaru's face became even redder than before, 'Rei is so cute while thinking like that. Ahh... I'm not supposed to fall for her, or anyone else. I joined the FBI to find my brother, and to help him to achieve his goal.'

".... I guess I envy you." Rei finished her sentence with a pout, which, in Hikaru's opinion at least, is really cute.

Hikaru blinked. Once. Twice. He can't believe what he just heard, that's already the second time today, from the same girl he's not supposed to fall in love with, but he still fall slowly but sure for her anyway, "...Pardon me? I don't think I heard you right."

"You're making me repeat what I said on purpose, don't you? I think you heard me just right. I said I envy you." Rei repeated, embarassed, "Just a little, not that much..." She quickly added, blushing a bit as she said so.

Hikaru let out a small chuckle.

"What's so funny?" Rei asked, a bit irritated.

"Ah, sorry. It's just that never saw you flustered like this. It's nice seeing this side of you." Hikaru answered with a grin.

"Alright, alright. Stop saying things like that, it makes me feel even more embarassed." Rei covered her face with her hands.

Hikaru chuckled again, "Okay. But why do you envy me?"

Rei stop covering her face, but still looked away as she muttered, "Because Hikaru have the kindness I don't have, Hikaru could always smile no matter what, Hikaru could always stay strong, Hikaru can make friends easily, and Hikaru don't lose his temper easily. I can't do any of that."

Hikaru blinked at her bluntness, "I'm not that kind..."

"You are," Rei cut his sentence.

"...And I also cry sometimes." He continued.

"I never saw you cry." Rei protested.

"I could say the same about you." Hikaru replied.

"And you never will." Rei snapped, still looking away from Hikaru.

"I'm pretty sure you're stronger than me..." Hikaru said again.

"I doubt it." Rei protested again, "I'm simply good at masking my emotions. I'm breaking inside sometimes."

"And so am I." Hikaru gently replied.

"Liar. You're too honest. I can read you like an open book." Rei finally look at Hikaru.

"I'm sure you could make friends easily if you smile more." Hikaru adviced.

"I'm not good at smiling." Rei frowned.

"Now you're the liar." Hikaru smiled, I already saw your smile several times, and it was beautiful." Hikaru blushed when he realized what he was saying, "No, I mean..."