Darkness

"Learn what?" The serpent slithers away. Darkness. Enveloping him. Approaching. Tendrils of shadow, swirling around his feet. Encroaching. Wisps of defiance, rising higher to meet...

"There is no learning. Only submission." Said a voice from the abyss behind him. He dares not look back, but the darkness grasps him. "How shall you submit?" Says the sullen smokes of temptation, as they inundate everything in his sight. The door fades, the ground fades, everything fades. Fading light. Fading sight. Fading twilight. Fading might...

Fading into bliss... Blindness...

Fading into this... Blindness...

Fading into the abyss... Blindness...

And something deep inside him, dies. A flame of hope, a fire of passion, a spark of eternity, dies. Blindness encompasses him, filling his eyes. For how great is thine darkness, when thine eye was once light...

"Now you learn." A quiet hiss. Silence. "Worship me." A deathly kiss. Silence. "Take the key." A false bliss. Silence. "Open the door." A groaning abyss. Silence...

He collapses. Pain. Racked with pain. Sorrow. Racked with sorrow. Weeping and gnashing of teeth. No more Kingdom. First is last, and last is first. No light... Never was light... Never is light... Only darkness... Only fear... Only here... Is the light near...

"I hate you." He whispers. "I hate you, Lucifer, for making me do this. But I promise you, with the spark of light left in me, I will make this right..."

And the light believes.

"Ellie... Who are you..."

He loves her. He loves her. Does she love him...

"Ellie... Where are you..."

He loves her. He loves her. Is she with him...

"Ellie... I love you..."

Silence. Deafening silence.

And he cries.

And the darkness embraces him. Enters him. Possesses him. And the serpent whispers...

"I am the light..."

And he believes.