Chapter Two

The Storm rolled in slowly. Regina awoke to the sounds of rain beating gently against her bedroom window. She listened to the peaceful rhythm for several minutes, maybe even an hour, before willing her eyes to open. The mayor took in a deep a breath and held it as long as such could before exhaling and releasing the captured air in tiny increments.

Dark brown eyes stared up at the ceiling. She allowed herself the luxury of feeling the smooth silk nightgown around her body. The bottom of which had climbed up passed her thighs. Regina felt the warmth of the bed, and the safety it represented. She wished she could hide in this place forever. For the first time in her life she almost wished she wasn't the one in charge. Almost.

Get a grip! Regina scolded herself and wretched the warm down comforter off of her body - purposely exposing her previously cocooned body to the cold morning air of her bedroom. Her muscled tightened and she endured the discomfort of her hot skin meeting frozen air until a shiver ran down her body. Silently she emerged from her bed and pondered how to dress for a potential natural disaster.

Several minutes later the mayor walked into her kitchen dressed in black pants and a black polo shirt with the town insignia and the words "Mayor Mills" etched in white letters across the chest pocket. She completed the outfit with boots she had bought for a hiking trip she planned to take with Henry when he was younger. If only she had known that the little boy who looked at her with such adoration then would grow to despise her. Regina's thoughts trailed off, but she was jarred back to earth by the sound of her son running down the stairs.

"Morning," Regina smiled effortlessly at her brown haired boy. "How about pancakes for breakfast?" She followed him through the kitchen with her gaze. The boy nodded but didn't respond barely sparing his mother a passing glance.

"Henry, I said 'good morning.'" Regina waited for the boy's attention, which was currently focused on the rain that had picked up since the mayor had left her bed.

"Morning." He grumbled but didn't look in her direction.

"There is nothing to worry about, we will be perfectly safe in this house." Regina offered as she set to preparing breakfast. That damn Emma Swan had likely terrified Henry with tales of a killer storm headed to destroy the town and every one in it. She couldn't help shaking her head at the sheriff's overreaction to the weather. That woman is so infuriating, Regina thought to herself, unable to contain the curling of her top lip.

Henry shrugged. He wasn't afraid. To him it was only more proof that Emma was the savior, the White Knight meant to rescue the townspeople from the Evil Queen's curse. Emma would rescue him from Regina's clutches and set everything right in the world. The young boy sighed. Maybe this would be the event to break the curse. It was the only part he hadn't worked out yet - how to break the curse. It was the last piece, and the most important, but it was just out of his grasp.

Little did the boy know his adoptive mother was wondering the same thing.

The pair ate silently - the sounds of rain and distant thunder replacing conversation.

By the time the Mayor arrived at city hall several inches of rain had already fallen and collected in clear pools on the roads. She strode up to the podium and addressed the town regarding the emergency preparations. Sidney and members of the community were crowded around her holding huge umbrellas and trying to keep the steady downpour from drenching them. Several minutes into the gathering, Regina felt the presence of the Sheriff to her right. She ignored her.

Almost an hour had elapsed before Regina handed the podium over to Dr. Whale who gave instructions on how to attend to minor first aid situations in the hopes of keeping people from coming to the hospital or calling an ambulance unnecessarily.

After Dr. Whale's presentation, Regina nodded toward Emma, without looking at her, and the blonde took over giving her part of plan.

By the time they finished addressing the crowd it was the early afternoon, although the menacing gray cloud covering the sky made it look more like dusk than noon.

Regina made her way to the Sheriff's Office, which had been set up as the command center. Two long tables had been arranged in the middle of the room, with four telephones placed on each. Since Emma had annoyingly refused to hire a deputy, volunteers from town were manning the phones. Regina wasn't the least bit surprised to see Mary Margret among the volunteers. She just couldn't understand how no one else ever saw through that do-gooder little , no one ever did. She was always the golden child. Always ready to jump in front of a train to rescue a helpless kitten. Please. The mayor thought to herself with a roll of her eyes. Mary Margret was no altruistic saint.

"Madam Mayor, I am glad you could make it." The sheriff had snuck up on her while she was deep in thought regarding her abject hatred of her son's teacher, and why they all deserved this curse in the first place.

"Yes, well, it is my town Ms. Swan." Regina said coldly and walked further into the room taking in her surroundings. The place was buzzing with energy. Phones were ringing and people were talking all at once in a dozen different conversations. It was a bit exhilarating if she had to admit - which she didn't - so the mayor's face remained the same, registering almost a slight boredom.

Emma gave the mayor a sideways glance. She wasn't expecting a "thank you for saving Storybrooke Sheriff," but something other than her maddening indifference would have been nice.

"Here is the phone bank, we have volunteers scheduled around the clock." Emma pointed to where Regina had just been standing.

"Yes dear, I gathered that." Regina walked away again and left Emma midway through her tour. The blonde felt that familiar anger circulate through her blood, which seemed to happen anytime she was around the brunette.

"Do you always have to be such a bitch?" Emma muttered to herself. Regina seemed not to have heard her, which cause a little smile to spread across the sheriff's face. She almost even giggled, but then cleared her throat and focused on the task at hand.

"We have all of our first responders ready and as soon as the weather breaks, a team of trucks and volunteer fire fighters will go out to clear any debris or fallen trees from the roads." Emma had picked up a clipboard and was handing out papers to some folks around her.

Regina continued her stroll through the Sheriff's office. Even the holding cells were being re-purposed to respond to the storm. Jugs of water, blankets and dry food rations were piled up halfway to the ceiling.

"Well Sheriff, it looks like Storybrooke might survive the apocalypse yet." Regina's tone was snide and condescending. Emma couldn't understand why the mayor was being so impossible about this, but let her aggravation roll away.

An hour later, after Sidney had directed some great shots of the mayor "volunteering" with the phones and feigning concern with the plight of the townsfolk, Regina knew she had to get home to her son before the storm really picked up steam.

"Sheriff Swan, you will be sure to call me if an emergency arises. I must go be with Henry, at least until the morning when the storm passes." Regina spoke facing away from Emma. God, I hate when she does that! Emma screamed in her head. It seemed as if everything was a power play with this woman. Like an animal relentlessly asserting her dominance. The younger woman wouldn't be shocked if one of these days Regina tried to pee on her, just to show her who was boss. What a psycho. The blonde thought to herself, swallowing back her rage, and let the mayor leave without further comment.