Chapter Twenty-Three

The caravan flying down the streets of Storybrooke looked more than a little comical. At the head was Regina's Mercedes, where Ruby sat in the front seat with a definite scowl. Her body leaned against the car door as far away from Regina as humanly possible. The black sedan was followed closely by Mary Margaret's station wagon, where David and Kathryn exchanged nervous glances in the backseat. David kept expecting his wife to explain her friend's crazy behavior, but truth be told the blonde was at a loss. She had no idea what Regina was doing or why. Henry sat in the front and quietly repeated something to himself. Mary Margaret couldn't keep her eyes off of him.

Bringing up the rear was Leroy's pickup being driven by Granny, with Archie in the middle and Leroy half passed out against the passenger side window. The trio of automobiles first traveled to Mary Margaret's apartment, but continued full steam ahead when the small yellow car was not parked anywhere near the building. Regina pushed faster on the only road out of town hoping they would make it in time.

As they sped along the road, Regina reached back to her purse tucked behind Ruby's seat. Her face coming uncomfortably close to Ruby's shoulder. The younger woman futilely tried to lean even further away from the mayor.

"Oh do calm down Miss Lucas. I don't bite." Regina said ironically. Ruby rolled her eyes. She didn't want to have any conversation with this woman. It was bad enough she was in a confined space with her. Regina finally retracted her arm and returned to her previously upright position. The brunette couldn't help but notice the large manila envelope the mayor was now holding.

"I realize Miss Lucas, that your feelings for my . . . for Emma, put us at cross purposes for the moment." Regina began, knowing that Ruby was aware of her involvement with Emma, and would guess that this had something to do with getting her back. Regina continued, "and that you have no desire to help me." Regina softened her tone, starting to feel an unusual sympathy for the girl in her passenger seat. Inexplicably, Regina imagined how she would feel in Ruby's shoes. "I am not trying to be cruel." Regina admitted, she might want to rip Ruby's head off for wanting Emma, but she couldn't blame her for it. Regina's genuine tone caught Ruby by surprise, and the younger woman unconsciously let her guard down slightly. The tension ebbed a bit between the two, and Regina attempted to hand the package she had retrieved to Ruby.

"What is that?" Ruby asked sharply.

"Please, just take it." Regina's words were a genuine request rather than an irritated command.

"I don't know what it is." Ruby said suspiciously. Wondering if perhaps it was some way to poison her. Regina rolled her eyes. The mayor was kicking herself for forgetting to give it to Dr. Hopper or even to Miss Blanchard. She had been thrown off by Emma's absence at the dinner, and now she had no choice but to trust Ruby.

"If something goes wrong, I need you to make sure Emma gets this." Regina said, finally just dropping the thing in Ruby's lap. The mayor felt her pulse starting to race under her skin.

"Goes wrong? What the hell does that mean!" Ruby shouted nervously.

"If something goes wrong you'll know it, just please promise me." Regina turned to look at Ruby for the first time since they had gotten in the car. The younger woman had never seen the mayor like this. She was actually begging. Ruby finally saw the sincerity in her eyes. Finally believed that she might actually care about Emma and wasn't just using her. The brunette said nothing else, but gripped the thick envelope and nodded. Regina felt only slightly relieved, her anxiety starting to pound through her body in earnest.

The pair traveled silently as the convoy raced down the road. There was only about another three miles before the end of town, and Regina's blood was thundering in her ears. I'm not going to make it. She realized. Regina felt her heart drop out of her body. She failed. She was too late. She had been so wrapped up in herself. In her own self-hatred and misery that she had thrown it all away. Thrown away her happy ending. Regina felt faint at the knowledge that this was over. She couldn't stop the tears. Couldn't stop them even though Ruby was looking at her wide-eyed not knowing whether to comfort her, or pretend it wasn't happening. But it was happening. Regina Mills was coming apart at the seams.