Chapter Ten

Emma sat on a hard wooden bar stool staring down into the beer she had been drinking for the last hour. The blonde had reached such a high level of alcohol saturation that no more liquid was crossing her throat.

"Hey." The brunette said softly and took the seat next to the sheriff. The blonde didn't respond. She didn't bother to look up from her drink. The brunette put her arm around Emma. The sheriff got up quietly and went with her. No words needed to be spoken. Not now.

The car ride was completely silent except for the melody of light rain falling and windshield wipers chasing each other from left to right and back again. Emma sat on the passenger side staring out into the rain wishing she would lose consciousness. No such luck. The brunette reached over and held Emma's hand. The gesture made fresh tears stream from dark green eyes.

When they got home the schoolteacher helped the sheriff out of the car and bore most of her weight on the trek upstairs. She walked the blonde to her room where she changed her into a fresh t-shirt before depositing her under the covers. Emma allowed herself to be led and changed without comment.

Mary Margaret didn't know exactly what was going on with Emma. Her roommate had been acting strangely for months. She wasn't completely shocked when she got a call from a very discrete bartender to come pick Emma up before anyone else saw her in this state. The brunette had never expected to see such a sight. Emma was almost unrecognizable - slouched over a warm beer and swaying to keep her balance on the stool. Her eyes were distant and unfocused.

Mary Margaret collected some aspirins and a large bottle of water and returned to Emma's room where the blonde lay on her side in the same position the brunette left her. Emma didn't fight her to take the pills and didn't resist the water Mary Margaret asked her to drink. To say Emma was on autopilot was an understatement.

The blonde's mind tried to form coherent thoughts. A constant, pervasive and absurd phrase looped in her mind. Show some fight. The voice repeated and repeated. Emma couldn't make out what it meant. Fight to move on? Fight to take Henry? Fight for Regina? The last thought sent Emma reeling. That woman was a monster. How else could she have said all those things? The blonde's eyes mercifully drifted shut as she contemplated Regina Mills and her present state. She relaxed into the warmth at her back.

Mary Margaret wrapped her arm around her friend's waist and tried to cocoon her in safety. Feeling an extreme and overwhelming desire to protect this woman who had never seemed so fragile.

Regina lay on her back enveloped in crisp white sheets and warm down comforter. The soft scent of lavender she sprayed on her bed gently swirled in the room.

Something caused Regina to open her eyes. It was only a few moments before Regina detected the source of the disruption. Emma stood at the foot of her bed. The blonde's hair was damp and her clothes were wet in sporadic and uneven spots. It was only then that the mayor heard the rainstorm raging outside her window.

"Ms. Swan, what do you think your doing?" Regina croaked bringing the bed covers up to her chin. The mayor couldn't help but notice the out-of-character expression the blonde wore. Her lips twitched with a smirk and her eyes looked different. Strange. Distant.

Without warning Emma pulled off her wet white beater along with whatever bottoms she was wearing. Regina watched, her mouth slightly agape, as the blonde dropped her bra and panties into the pile of clothes at her feet. The mayor moistened her lips with the tip of her tongue at the sight of Emma's nude form - barely visible in the dark.

Regina felt frozen as Emma crawled up the bed on all fours. Slowly dragging her naked body against the mayor's sheets. When the sheriff's chest pressed lightly against the mayor's center, a hard pull of desire pulsated between Regina's thighs. The brunette was starting to breath faster. Her heart pounding against her chest. A crash of thunder rumbled in the sky and Regina nearly jumped out of her skin.