Chapter Eighteen

"Don't forget that Mrs. Nolan will be picking you up after school today." Regina placed a bright red apple in Henry's lunch bag as the boy finished his breakfast.

"Ok." He said glumly.

"What's wrong? You don't want to go? I thought you liked playing the X-station 400 with Mr. Nolan." The mayor walked over to her son and leaned over the counter. Genuine concern shown on her dark features.

"It's a Playstation 3." He said rolling his eyes. Regina shrugged not really understanding how there was a difference between what Henry called it and what she had said. "I just thought I could stay with you and Emma. It was my night to pick the game, and I was going to pick Monopoly." Henry pushed scrambled eggs around his plate with the tip of his fork.

"How about we play Monopoly on Sunday? We can invite Sheriff Swan over to spend the day. Maybe we can go to the pumpkin patch. What do you think?" Regina asked with a smile. The mayor was feeling more than a little guilty that she was shipping off her son to Kathryn's house in order to surprise Emma in a bar, but they hadn't been pumpkin picking in years and she thought the boy would enjoy carving some with his two moms. The image of the three of them sitting around a plastic-lined table covered in pumpkin guts elicited a warm tug in Regina's chest.

"Really? Ok!" Henry said enthusiastically and jumped off the stool grabbing his backpack.

The mayor smiled widely and washed the boy's dish before taking her own bag under her arm and heading out for the day. The brunette thought of the outfit lying out on her bed and checked her phone for the message from Sydney that hadn't arrived yet. She felt the flutter of jitters in her stomach and for the second time since she met the blonde sheriff, Regina was unsure of her own next step. There was an uneasy sense of freedom in not having every twist and turn planned. It was both exhilarating and terrifying. The mayor wouldn't admit it even to herself, but not being able to control everything . . . not being able to control Emma . . . was almost a relief. Regina did not let herself think on it further in order to maintain plausible deniability within herself and headed out into the crisp late-October morning.

"Sidney, I am not in the mood for your sniveling today." Regina leaned against her desk as she spoke on her secure line.

"But Madam Mayor, how can I possibly-"

"I don't care how, just do it." Regina hung up the phone with a loud click and was sure Sidney was still stammering on the dead line. A wicked grin formed on plump red lips.

"Are you ready to get hammered and dance all night!" Ruby shook her hips as she poured more coffee in the blonde's mug. Emma faked a smile and Ruby sauntered away happily to attend to other patrons.

Emma let herself sulk until the brunette returned. She hadn't spoken to Regina since they argued and she was starting to regret storming out of the mayor's house. She was feeling more confused than ever before. Emma couldn't understand how nothing had changed since the morning she asked Regina on the date. The mayor had seemed so vulnerable then. . . so ready to try and let down her walls. . . but then it had turned to sex again. Every time she was close to something more real, Regina would close herself off from the blonde. But there were the moments when they would kiss and Emma could feel there was more. When the dark brown eyes would bore into her with so much passion and emotion. And then the last night they were together Emma was sure that Regina was finally going to confess her feelings, and Emma felt more than ready to do the same. The blonde wanted to stop playing the game. Wanted to wake up in Regina's arms. Wanted to tell the woman how she felt without fear of rejection or mockery. Emma absentmindedly stirred milk into her coffee, watching the black liquid turn swirly shades of light brown.

"You alright Em?" Ruby had been observing the blonde for sometime. Watching her slowly make figure eight shapes with the cheap metal spoon in her coffee cup. Dark green eyes seemed heavy with worry. The brunette was afraid to ask what her friend was thinking about. Knowing it had to do with the mayor, but the blonde's unwillingness to discuss the subject was absolute. The waitress gave a lopsided smile and asked again. "Em?"