Chapter Four

It was several days before the town regained any normalcy. Crews worked around the clock to restore power to Storybrooke and Regina had been forced to contact neighboring towns for more supplies and manpower. The mayor hated the scores of strangers poking around her town but there was just no way around it - the damage was unprecedented.

Emma for her part had thrown herself head first into the rebuilding effort. Almost every home and storefront had sustained some damage and the townsfolk had all come out to help one another. It was all the blonde could do to avoid the mayor.

She must know, Emma thought to herself as she hammered a nail into the roof of Granny's diner. She saw me and she is just waiting for the perfect moment to humiliate me. Maybe she will have a press conference and have me run out of town. Do people still get run out of town?

"Miss Swan?"

The blonde jumped and lost her footing momentarily.

"Christ! Who the hell sneaks up on people like that?!" Emma regretted her choice of words the instant she swirled around to see perfectly put together Regina Mills looking up at her from the sidewalk. For a moment Emma could have sworn she saw a gleam cross the brunettes eyes - a recognition of the weight of those words, but there was no other sign of it. The fact that Regina was acting normally didn't stop the blonde's heart from racing.

"Well Miss Swan, I would not have to sneak up on you if I could ever get a hold of you. It seems as if you are always on some roof nailing something these days." There was something about every word Regina uttered that made Emma extremely nervous. The blonde couldn't even look at the mayor as she spoke, and instead she kicked at some loose tiles at her feet. It was like she had that awkward feeling you get after having a sex dream about a co-worker, but about a thousand times worse.

"Really Miss Swan, can you pay attention?" Regina huffed, showing her irritation with Emma kicking around the floor like a child. Sometimes it pained her how her actions mirrored Henry's movements and gestures. Emma looked up. "We still have paperwork to go over, so I'm going to need a sheriff to do that and not Bob the Builder." Regina said, realizing it wasn't her wittiest insult, but Henry had taken to the cartoon when he was younger and it was the first thing that came to mind.

Emma would have thought of a retort had she not been so busy looking down Regina's silk blouse. The sight took her as soon as she looked up from her shoes. From the sheriff's vantage point she could see the smooth expanse of the mayor's tanned chest. The top two buttons of the white blouse were undone, and Emma's eyes ran across the mayor's perfectly rounds breasts. The blonde couldn't help licking her lips.

Regina smirked in her mind, but didn't let it show that she knew exactly what the sheriff was looking at. She merely congratulated herself for unbuttoning that second button on the way over to Granny's. The brunette let the blonde take in the view and puffed out her chest just a bit while taken deeper breaths than necessary to flaunt her assets to the sheriff.

Emma snapped herself out of it. "Ok, I can meet you in your office tomorrow. Is eight in the morning alright?" She could feel her heart pounding. Emma didn't go back to looking at the surface beneath her feet, but instead looked off in the distance a bit to the left of the mayor.

"No. Come to my house tonight after dinner. I will expect you at seven." Regina said this matter-of-factly but in truth she felt apprehensive about the move.

"Um . . . well. . . I can't tonight." Emma stammered.

"And why as is that Sheriff?" The mayor answered sharply, maybe too sharply she realized.

"I, uh . . ." Emma cursed herself for not being about to come with something fast enough.

"Seven o' clock, Miss Swan. Sharp." Regina said snapping around and walking away leaving the blonde muttering to herself. A tiny grin spread across the brunette's lips. She cleared her throat and continued with purpose to the only beauty shop in Storybrooke. There were a number of things she needed to accomplish before her meeting with the sheriff, and waxing was first on the list. Just in case, Regina thought to herself and another wicked smile graced her face.