Chapter Seven

Ruby didn't need to hear anything after "ladies' night." She immediately called Mary Margaret and told her to get ready. This trio hadn't gotten together in almost a month. Well, since the storm had come through Storybrooke really.

"Hey!" Ruby waved at Mary Margaret when the teacher entered the only bar in Storybrooke.

"Hey! Where's Emma?" Mary Margaret asked after hugging Ruby and ordering herself a glass of wine.

"I don't know, she hasn't gotten here yet." Ruby was screaming over the music. "You know I wanted to ask you before she got here - does she seem strange to you lately?" Ruby took a sip of her beer.

"What do you mean?" The shorthaired woman bought herself some time. Of course she had noticed a change in her roommate.

"I don't know. I mean, she's been so spaced out since the storm. Do you think she had PTSD from being stuck out there?" Ruby asked sincerely.

"No. That can't be it. I think she would talk about that. She doesn't want to talk about whatever is bothering her now." Mary Margaret took a sip of wine and pondered whether to share her theory.

"I think she has a secret boyfriend." The teacher finally divulged.

"No shit!" Ruby almost spat out her drink.

Mary Margaret nodded. "Yeah, last night she said she had a meeting with the mayor but she was all worried about what to wear. And then she got home in the middle of the night too exhausted to change apparently since she went to bed shoes on and all. She just feel asleep where she landed. She's been distracted too. . . forgetful. . . It fits the bill I think." The information poured out of her mouth like an avalanche. It was good to get it off her chest.

"Why wouldn't she tell us though? I mean, I am totally happy for her if she's got herself a man!" Ruby laughed and took another big chug of her beer. "At least one of us is getting some." Ruby laughed at her own comment and at Mary Margaret's horrified expression.

"Ruby! Gosh its not about that I'm sure!" Mary Margaret turned deep scarlet.

"Oh come on M&M! Don't be such a prude! Just because you haven't knocked boots with anyone in forever! I mean come on, I know I'm not alone on that one!"

Mary Margaret let out a little giggle. It was true. She immediately thought of James and signed. "Another round!" The schoolteacher called out and clinked glasses with Ruby who drained the rest of her beer.

By the time Emma made it to the tiny bar her best friends were half drunk. "How late am I?" The blonde looked down at her watch and the two brunettes went into a fit of hysterical laughter.

"Shots!" Ruby screamed and gave Emma a sideways hug.

"Oh what the hell. . . why not." Emma looked down at her drink suspiciously, tossed back the world's most disgusting vodka shot, and then ordered two more for each of them.

It was barely an hour later and the trio was moving from buzzed to tipsy after four rounds of shots.

"Alright Ems, we have a question and you are going to answer it!" Ruby blurted out at the blonde. Mary Margaret looked at her with wide brown eyes.

"Um. OK?" She answered wearily.

"So who are you seeing on the down low?" Ruby asked so matter-of-factly Emma almost choked on her beer. How would they know? She thought guiltily to herself. What am I going to say? I don't even know what it is yet . . . I mean Regina would KILL ME if I said anything . . .

"Holy shit! I knew it! There is someone!" Ruby exclaimed. Mary Margaret hadn't said anything yet, and she kept hoping a little trapped door would open under her and she would be spared from this painfully awkward conversation.