4

PoV: Sonic

  I woke up in the same small white space. There were little dots around it this time. What are you? I felt strong enough to move around a little. I walked out to look at them. They surrounded my box from the outside. I circled them, what do you do?

PoV: Tails

  I walked back into my living room with more broth for Sonic. I stopped dead at what I saw. Sonic was out of the kennel! He was looking at the lights I put up, circling them on all fours. Shadow was peeking over the side of the couch, not making a sound. I knelt down where I was as quietly as I could. Sonic looked at me, he didn't move. I took a sip of the broth and placed it down as close to him as I could reach.

  I didn't dare to speak, I didn't want to scare him away. He took a little while before he started to slowly make his way to the bowl. He looked up at me before he started lapping the broth. It was like he was wild. He was only relying on his instincts and fear. I wanted to hug him and tell him everything would be okay, but that might scare him off.

  When he finished he stretched with a slight whince. I didn't realize I had reached for him until he scurried back into the kennel. I followed my own instincts to help him, and it scared him away.

"You scared him," Shadow stated.

"I know that I didn't mean to. I heard him wince and I wanted to help," I picked up the empty bowl and put it away, "Sonic's just sensitive now."

"We should start trying to lure him out again," Rouge stated, "I want him to trust us again."

"Me too," I sighed.

---

PoV: Shadow

  Seeing Sonic like that... it was haunting. Nothing phased me... but seeing that... it makes me sick.

  Everyone was taking shifts in front of the kennel. Tails, then Amy, Knuckles, Sticks, and Rouge. They all left for some fresh air, Tails followed them to think of new ways to help Sonic. We were alone. I laid down in front of the kennel and watched him. How he could stay curled up so long, it worried me. He was afraid of everyone, myself included.

"Sonic," I spoke to him, "Do you remember who you used to be?"

  No answer, he never spoke.

"You used to be this annoying, fun loving, free spirited hedgehog. Always asking me to race you. Do you remember that?"

  He only stared. I sighed and just laid on my back quietly. I figure this would go on for the next few days, maybe weeks.

PoV: Sonic

  It was saying something to me before. Who I used to be? I didn't understand. I was waiting, for the next experiment maybe. I looked at it, its eyes closed. Was it asleep? None of the others slept in front of me. I wonder why this did. I moved up with caution, I would go back to my corner if it threatened me.

  I was at the edge of my box, it was asleep a few steps away. I stopped every once in a while to be sure it wasn't moving. I took in a little of its scent. I know you move, I know you talk. Why would you sleep while my box is open? I sat down next to it and looked at its body and face. It had a white thing on its chest, I didn't have that. It was laying on something to. What was the white stuff on its chest?

  I slowly leaned in to get a better look. I felt my own heart, did it have one too? I listened, my ear flickering from the white fluff. It did, it had a heartbeat and it was breathing.