2. Shivers

Everest Hills
Aryn's apartment
Present

ARYN

"All set?"

"Yep." Lucy replied as she popped the 'p' playfully. I took the backpack from the couch and looked at myself from the mirror. I was wearing my snow-white long-sleeved shirt, ankle-long denim pants, and white converse.

 I was wearing my snow-white long-sleeved shirt, ankle-long denim pants, and white converse

(Aryn's outfit above^)

My chestnut hair was braided; short strands fell to the side of my face. I added a bit of eyeliner in my eyes and it brought out the artificial hazel colour of the contact lenses.

I turned to Lucy and said, "Eyes." After zipping her bag, she whipped her head to my direction and stared straight to my eyes as I did to hers. Her brown contacts were there, thankfully. I wouldn't risk exposure. "Good, I gave your lunch money, right?"

"Yes, Aryn. You didn't have to ask twice." She said nonchalantly.

"I'm just making sure, Lucy."

"I know." Her upper teeth trapped her lower lip as she bit back a retort because she knew I was right.

The bus drive took around 15 minutes to reach Hillside Kindergarten. I handed Lucy her school permit before sending her off. And then right after, I began my 5-minute walk to Everest High School. In less than 5 minutes, I managed to arrive in front of the gates. Glancing at my watch, I saw that it was 10 minutes before 9 in the morning. The leather of the strap had cracks and the brownish colour was fading off. The watch was years old; only replacing the batteries over time.
As I entered, I straightaway followed the signs that directed me to the school secretary's office.

The atmosphere began to change. I could hear the students mumble under their breaths and my ears started to flick in irritation. Some were near their lockers, quietly chit-chatting, and others who passed by me immediately scrunched their nose in curiosity. I can't help but overhear a few of the sentences they uttered.

"Who is she?"

"The newly enforced law."

"Never saw her here before."

"Is she one of us?" That question made me walk even faster. I should've expected that there would be pack wolves here. Rogues weren't tracked by the council so I don't have to worry about encountering them in this school if they were ever forced by the law to attend. There was still a possibility but if there are packs around the area, in which I am sure there are, then Rogues would stay clear from the pack lands.

I stopped in front of the secretarial desk and saw a middle-aged blonde woman speaking through the phone. Her blouse seemed neatly ironed and the vest on top of it had a silver pin nipped at her breast pocket. When she saw me, she gave me a full-blown smile and wrinkles started to form at the side of her eyes and the corners of her lips. "Yes, thank you, Sir." I heard her say to the one on the other line. She quickly placed the phone down and focused her attention on me. "What can I do for you, dear?"