14. Lullaby

Everest Hills
A.T.'s House
Present

ARYN

The sweet aroma of pine trees and mint was overwhelming I almost lost my balance. My hand reached out to the wooden wall to prevent me from tripping. I was currently facing a hallway with a doorway beside me leading me towards what I could gather, a living room. It was decent and clean. Simple. The warm color of brown dominated the whole house it seems. It matched with the small muddy-colored couch in the middle of the room and the mahogany-made table. There was also a TV on the wall.

I turned to the hallway that was filled with random but enticing paintings of landscapes, wolves, and oceans. Each was signed by a woman named Aurora Wilheim.

His mother?

The farther I walked along the hall; I could gather a soft tune as it lingered around the house. I passed by the bathroom, the kitchen, and an art studio. Does the paint too?

I went up the stairs at the end of the hall, quietly taking slow steps as I listened to the sound that was growing closer... and closer...

I stopped by a door where the soft music resonated from. Hesitantly, I placed my hand on the doorknob before I creak it open, only to be welcomed by a familiar figure sitting on a chair while playing the piano. The song was undoubted, sad and depressing. I watched his fingers press along the black and white keys, each giving out a unique tune. It was beautiful.

I found myself giving in to the sound as I leaned my head on the doorway. I watched his muscles flex as he moved his arms professionally. He was wearing one of his regular blue t-shirts and shorts. His head was bowed down to a sense that he seemed to be hurting.

I felt drawn to him.

The way he moved his arms, his hands, his fingers.

I heard his staggered breaths as he inhaled through his nose and exhaled to his mouth.

The curtains were being lifted by the harsh and cold breeze and yet, he was unbothered as he continued on. I myself was feeling the chills and he wasn't stopping.

I know that he already sensed me the moment I entered.

He just refused to acknowledge my presence.

I didn't care. I was entertained by his adequate performance.

I lied.

I entered the room and walked towards him, where he was playing. My shoes sinking into the soft red carpet underneath. I settled down to his side, crossing my legs as I sat there.

It wasn't adequate.

He didn't move as I turned to face him. My eyes followed his fingers and how they moved with such grace. It was majestic.

It was hypnotizing.

The atmosphere was intense. It was starting to become as heavy as it is.

I closed my eyes and simply... appreciated the warmth emitting from his body and as it synchronized with the melody he produced with his talent. I don't know how that works but... I was already attached to it. A melodious hum escaped my lips as patterned it with his, similar to a soft lullaby.

A lullaby.

"Mom, sing us a wuwwaby!" My twin brother exclaimed in his cheery voice.

"Yeah, me too, me too!" My baby sister was giggling half-sleepily. I was quiet and patient. I also wanted one but momma taught me how to be patient. Always.