13. Last Letter

Everest Hills
Everest High School
Present

ARYN

My sweat clung to my shirt, having it stick to my skin disgustingly. We've been ordered to run for 40 minutes without stopping or else we'd face the consequences. Not that it really mattered in my part, for running has always been an enjoyable hobby. The only thing I despised was the existing waterfall around my body and the pungent odour emanating from it. In addition to that were the rest of the people in this room who each had a distinct smell apart from me. I resisted the urge to cover my nose, it would have been too obvious, and the fact that the other wolves noticed the sudden change of the room's air. I'd have to change into my clothes after this. Thank goodness, it was ending. The rest were of a scarlet shade already and they were slowing down while I have continued my own run. I counted off from 1 to 2400 to keep my pace on-going.

Turning my head to the side, Fae and Helios were both breathing heavily as drops of sweat were evident on their faces. Fae's hair was scattered since her ponytail broke in the middle of the run so she had to fix it every time it covered her face. I had to stifle my laugh at the sight of her. Helios, however, looked all tough and mighty - the typical expression of a guy who was worn out of exhaustion. I took off for a while when our substitute coach, Io, called out "5 minutes!". This caused me to increase my pace and run a bit faster than I did before.

By the end, I gathered energy first before I went to grab a hold of my water bottle. The saltine liquid filled my throat in relief and the ache of my muscles immediately turned numb.

I scanned everyone. The others were on the floor and I don't know whether to simply laugh or feel bad for them.

When I saw Helios and Fae on the bench, they were already arguing in airy breaths,

"How the hell is she even here?" Fae exclaimed in a higher-pitched voice.

"How should I know -" He stopped when he was catching his breath.

"Oh, I don't know maybe it's because of - ah shit." She placed a palm on her forehead, shutting her eyes. She grabbed her water bottle, opened the lid, and poured it all over her face. "This really sucks."

"What? What is it?" Helios pried for the answer.

I immediately sat beside Fae as she sat up straight and threw the remaining water on Helios. "Hey! What was that for?" He backed away, stupidly wiping off the water.

She simply glared at him with an annoyed expression and placed her hands on her hips. "Don't tell me you have forgotten."

"What are talking abou -"

"And you're supposed to be the older one." She muttered under breath. "May 29th, ring any bells?" Her expression consisted of an overly fake smile.

That's -

"My birthday! Geez. What will she gain out of torturing me every single year??" His shoulders slumped in defeat and swung his bag over it.

"Amusement. Duh."

My gaze wandered behind Helios, the figure of Io approaching us with her lips on a grim line. She had decided on taking her hat off of her already, letting her blonde locks flow freely at her back. I was going to clear my throat when Helios continued on.

"That filthy trashy blonde, son of the rising sta - "

"Amadeus, Eilidh. Doing well, little niece and nephew?" Helios immediately stiffened and groaned in obvious annoyance. He turned to face her and asked nonchalantly, "Why are you even doing this to me?" His whiney voice echoed through my ears.