8. Smell

Everest Hills
Aryn's apartment
Present

ARYN

"Wake up!"

"Vas!"

"It's Rik!"

"ARYN!"

My head was throbbing in pain as I immediately sat up from the sheets. I registered my surroundings and saw Lucy dressed up in her school attire with her backpack around her shoulders. My hand reached up to my eyes and rubbed it to ease the blurriness. A yawn escaped my mouth and I asked in a low and groggy voice, "What time is it?"

"Eight thirty-five." She bit her lower lip.

Her response caused me to get on my feet to prepare, I felt the side of my head sting and I groaned in pain. "Woah, woah, wait a minute. You aren't getting up. You have a fever." She placed a hand on my shoulder and pushed me back on my bed.

The moment my head felt the soft pillow, I sighed in relief. "I had a nightmare, again, did I?"

She nodded and sadness was evident in her features. "Just take a pill. I'll be alright on my own."

"Bring your phone and message me when you get there, alright? And don't forget your lunch money and the payment for the bus ride." I informed her. My eyes were drooping and I felt the warm towel placed on my forehead.

"I already did. Get well soon, Aryn. I'll leave the pill on the bedside table." That was the last thing I heard before I fell unconscious.

•••

I woke up with the sound of my stomach growling, demanding the food my body needed. The room was as dark as night and the only light was the sunlight seeping through the holes of the window curtain. With my enhanced sense of sight, I was able to see everything in the room though hardly since tears somehow blurred my vision. I could still feel the dried tear marks on my cheeks. My hand reached and scrubbed my eye inhabit and to be able to adjust my vision. I turned my head to the bedside clock. 3:30. Lucy will be home in a bit. I need to change for my shift tonight. The headache I had as of now was better than what I had earlier. But when I got to my feet, my surroundings seemed to go around in circles and I supported myself by holding onto the wall. I took my phone from the bedside table and saw the message Lucy sent about 6 hours ago, informing me that she just arrived in school.

The exhaustion was still evident when I went to the bathroom to bathe. The warm bath I had instantly cooled my burning body and I moaned in relief as it started to relieve all the tension and pain I was feeling. My ears flicked at the sound of the front door closing, knowing it was Lucy when she yelled out, "I'm home, Aryn." After washing off, I wrapped my nude self in a white towel and went over to the sink while wiping my wet feet on the floor towel. The mirror presented my tired and exhausted features. My eyes had dark circles around them and my lips were etched in a deep frown.

On my shoulder, the scars were eminent as they led my breasts and stopped right on my stomach. Memories flashed before my eyes and I had to grip on the sink as I watched my eyes turn grey before the sides filled itself with black.

 Memories flashed before my eyes and I had to grip on the sink as I watched my eyes turn grey before the sides filled itself with black