September pt.2

Taehyung

He walks back into the room a surprisingly short amount of time later, an uneasy grin on his face. "April will be here very soon, she's only a few minutes away."

"Who's April?" I ask.

"The obstetrician. I'll go downstairs and wait for her."

And with that Dr Andrews packs his suitcase and leaves again.

"Is it bad that all I want to do right now is put his head through a wall?" Jungkook asks through gritted teeth. I shake my head.

We sit there in silence, not really knowing what to say to each other at this point, until the so called obstetrician named April arrives. She's a very small and young looking woman with jet black hair and bangs. She has big bright eyes and gives me a smile that makes me a bit more at ease. She seems much nicer than Dr Andrews.

"Hello, Mr Kim. Mr Jeon. Nice to meet you," she says breathlessly like she ran here.

"Nice to meet you too, April," I say.

She furrows her eyebrows together. I realise I'm probably not supposed to call her by her first name.

"Oh, sorry, um, Dr Andrews only referred to you as April, Dr...?" I wait for her to give me her last name, but she just laughs.

"No, don't worry about it. My patients call me Dr Sykes, but April will do just fine."

"Anyway, April, Dr Sykes, what's the issue here?" Jungkook says quickly.

"Oh, right." April sweeps some hair away from her face. "What Dr Andrews was so afraid to tell you—" she rolls her eyes as she says his name, which makes me like her more, "—is that you're pregnant."

I glance over at Jungkook and we lock eyes for a few seconds. Then we both burst out laughing.

"Seriously? Him? Pregnant?" Jungkook points at me and laughs even harder.

"April, listen, I'm a dude. A human male." I put as much emphasis as I can on the last word.

"I may have failed human biology but I know that's impossible," Jungkook says.

She's obviously joking. I actually feel mildly offended— does she really think we're that stupid?

Jungkook and I look at each other and start laughing again. April stares at us, not saying a word, with a weird look on her face. After we pull ourselves together, she still doesn't say anything.

"April?" Jungkook asks hesitantly.

"I know this seems silly now, but trust me when I say I never like to kid with my patients," she says coolly.

My heart starts beating really fast and I don't know why. I know she's not serious. She's not. I know that. I do.

"I don't know why I'm even asking this but have either of you ever heard of a carrier?" April asks.

"Yeah, it's someone who carries a recessive gene," I answer. Jungkook looks at me, surprised. I smirk. "I was actually pretty good at human biology."

"That is correct, but it has another meaning too that's pretty different," April says.

"Why does it have two meanings? Couldn't you have just thought of another word?" Jungkook asks, sounding particularly child-like.

April sighs, looking somewhat annoyed. "I didn't make it up. Anyway, a carrier is basically a man who can get pregnant."

I open my mouth to argue, but she holds a finger up to silence me.

"Let me explain. You, Mr Kim, were born with a uterus and ovaries and everything you need to carry a baby, but you also have male reproductive parts and male hormones. This is because of a mutation in the DNA of your sex chromosomes. You do not have proper female reproductive parts, however there is a very small opening near your male genitalia where sperm can enter and fertilise the eggs in the ovaries. As you probably know from not seeing any pregnant males around, this is incredibly rare. It is very difficult for the sperm to enter and for this to even be a possibility the carrier must be in a sexually active relationship with another male. I've dealt with countless pregnant women, but besides you I've only ever seen one carrier in person when I was studying. I should also warn you that since the male body isn't exactly made for pregnancy, it is rare for both the carrier and baby to survive."

The room falls so silent after her explanation that you could hear a pin drop. My head hurts as my brain tries to process all the information that she just said. It still seems so impossible. I'm not actually pregnant, am I? That's insane.

"We have a song called DNA," Jungkook mutters.

"I know this is a lot to take in," April says softly, ignoring him. "Please ask any questions if you have them."

"I just— I'm really confused. I never thought this could happen," I say so quietly I'm not sure she can hear me. "Are you sure?"

She nods. "All your symptoms that Dr Andrews told me fit, and your urine test showed positive. False negatives are common but false positives... they don't really happen."

"This is crazy," Jungkook says. His eyes look like they're about to pop out of his head. "It doesn't feel..." he trails off.

"Like it's really happening?" I suggest, and he nods. "I know, it doesn't."

"I realise this is very hard for you to believe," April says. "I've done the best I can to help you understand. I think it would be beneficial for me to book you in at my clinic for an ultrasound as soon as possible. Can you come in tomorrow?"

"I don't even know. Could you discuss it with our manager?" I ask.

"Sure."

"Thank you."

More silence.

"I'll leave you two to process everything, and hopefully we'll see each other again tomorrow." She stands up, and I know it would be polite to see her out but I can't seem to move my legs. 

"Bye," Jungkook says vacantly, and then she's gone.

As soon as the door's closed, Jungkook breaks out of his state of staring into space with wide eyes and turns to face me.

"What do we do?" He asks urgently.

Suddenly I'm crying for no apparent reason. Jungkook puts his arms around me and I sink into his embrace, sobbing into his chest.

"I don't know," I cry.

"Shhh, it's okay, it's okay. Everything's going to be fine. It might not even be true."

I stop crying and wipe my eyes. "You're right, it might not be," I say in a wobbly voice.

"Tell you what, why don't I go and grab a pregnancy test? See if it comes back negative?"

I sniff and look up at him. "Would you do that?"

"Of course."

"Thank you so much, Jungkookie."

"No problem. I'll be back before you know it."

He leaves the room and I collapse back on my bed with my head in my hands, and start crying again.