September pt.4

Jungkook

"Is this really happening?" Taehyung asks me, his head on my shoulder in the backseat of one of the Big Hit cars. "Are we really going for an ultrasound right now?"

I put my arm around him. "Apparently so."

We only have comeback promotions late at night today, so an ultrasound was scheduled for this morning. All the staff have been fully informed. We haven't told any of the members yet— besides Jimin.

When we arrive at the clinic, Sejin and a bodyguard get out of the car and then open the doors for us. We duck our heads and quickly walk the short distance from our car to the clinic, where we're immediately ushered inside one of the rooms.

"Good to see you again," April says. Her hair is tied back in a ponytail today, which makes her look even younger. "Although, this is quite a small room. It's best to only have the parents in here."

The other two shuffle awkwardly out the door.

Parents. I've never been called a parent before.

"Hi April," Taehyung says.

"Hi Mr Kim. Ready to see your uterus?" She smiles.

"Listen, I was thinking about this... if we're calling you April you should be calling us by our first names too," he says as he makes his way over to sit on the propped up hospital bed in the centre of the room. He seems very at ease today, considering the circumstances. Or maybe he feels like he's having several heart attacks on the inside but remaining cool on the outside... like me.

April smiles again at this and blushes. "Okay, Taehyung. Well done, I didn't even have to ask you to take a seat. Jungkook, there's a chair here for you." She points to a small chair next to Taehyung, and I go sit in it. "Are you both feeling a bit better about this today?"

"I guess, yeah. It's still kind of hard to believe, though," I answer.

"That's as expected. This is a pretty big plot twist in your life," she says.

Taehyung laughs. "That's one way to put it."

"This should help you get your head around it." She smiles yet again. I've come to the conclusion that April is a very smiley person.

She gently lifts up Taehyung's white t-shirt, then squirts some blue jelly on him and rubs it in with a tool. She flicks a switch on a screen and a white, grey and black mass appears on it.

"You're already eight weeks along. This is what your baby looks like." She points to a white, peanut shaped blob in the middle of the screen. She pulls out a stethoscope. "Would you like to hear the heartbeat?"

I assume Taehyung nods, but my eyes are fixed on the screen. Within seconds, a fast paced heartbeat noise fills the room. I can't remember the last time I was so speechless. I can't seem to remember how to talk, and all thoughts have left my mind.

"Oh my God," I hear Taehyung whisper next to me. "Oh my God," he says a little louder. "Oh my God."

His voice cracks a little on the last word, and I turn around to face him and see tears swimming in his eyes. I feel a huge smile come over my face and I gain my ability to speak again.

"Are you crying?" I ask.

"No," Taehyung says as he hurriedly wipes his eyes.

I take his hand in mine and squeeze it.

"I believe it now," he says softly.

"Me too."

April lets us listen to the heartbeat and stare at the screen for a few more minutes before turning it all off. She wipes away the jelly from Taehyung's stomach and pulls his shirt back down.

"Thank you so much for that," Taehyung tells her.

"You're very welcome. Now, everything looks great at the moment, but I can't stress to you enough how dangerous this pregnancy is going to be." April's voice is suddenly solemn, and the happy bubble I was floating in bursts.

"How dangerous?" I ask slowly.

"Like I told you, it's very rare for both the carrier and the baby to survive."
"You said you've seen a carrier before, what happened to him?" Taehyung asks, his voice full of fear.

"Uh... he... well..." April stammers, "he died when the baby was six months old."

"What?" I burst out.

"He actually died!" Taehyung exclaims.

"Now, now, this doesn't mean it will happen to you. It's rare for both to survive, but it does happen. It happens to the ones who are really careful," April says quickly.

"Do you know anyone who's survived and had a baby?" Taehyung sounds like he's about to cry again.

"As a matter of fact I do. And funnily enough he's famous, just like you. So if you decide to tell your fans then whoever knows him probably won't be that surprised," she says matter-of-factly.

"Seriously?" Taehyung and I say in unison.

"Seriously. His name was Dan something... I'm pretty sure he's a British YouTuber. He and his partner have a two-year-old daughter. You should look him up."

I can't think of what to say to that. I feel relieved but confused that I'd never heard of that before.

"Okay, well... what are we supposed to do now?" I ask.

April picks up a thick book from her desk and hands it to me. "This pregnancy book should tell you everything you need to know. A carrier pregnancy is pretty much exactly the same as a woman pregnancy except you need to be more careful and the negative aspects will be a little more extreme. General advice is just to eat nutritious foods and get lots of rest. If you have any questions here's my number," she scribbles it on a piece of paper and gives it to Taehyung. "You can contact me any time."

"Thank you so much." I smile.

"Don't worry about it— it's my job." She stands up. "Would you like ultrasound pictures?"

"Uh... okay," Taehyung says.

She taps a few things into her computer and then walks over to a printer. She takes the photos, puts them in an envelope and gives it to me, then leads Taehyung and I out of her office. As soon as we're back in the waiting room we're quickly ushered out and back into the car again.

"Hey, Jungkookie?" Taehyung says as we drive off.

"Yeah Tae?"

"We need to tell everyone."