Chapter Forty Two

Final chapter.

"Thank you," I said to Amber. "For bringing me here, I mean. I assume it was mostly you who put this together."

She shrugged modestly. "You were in a bad place, and I knew I had to get you out of it. So I did what I could, even if you wouldn't have liked it."

"And you teamed up with my mum," I joked. "Sneaky."

She laughed. "It was worth it. You're happier already, I can see it. You need those idiots more than you know."

"When did you become so wise?" I asked. "You've eaten like four packets of skittles."

"Sugar makes me wise."

"I'll remember that in the future."

She laughed. "I did this for you because you're my friend. Let's say you owe me a favour."

"Deal," I said, shaking her hand. "You're the most sane person here."

"Disagree," she said. "You are."

I laughed, agreeing with the accuracy of her reply. "You're right."

>< >< ><

"Where did they get the fake swords?" I whispered to Ethan and Amber, who just shrugged and watched the show regardless.

"I will turn you to dust!" Jordan yelled as he sliced his arm through the air while attempting to hit Blake in the head with his foam sword.

"Good luck! Bring it on, you shit!" Blake bravely defended, jumping out of Jordan's way. They had covered the swords in paint. Where had they gotten the paint from? I have no idea.

"I hope they remember you," Jordan said, pointing to us. "because you're about to die, peasant!"

Blake scoffed, shoving his arm forward in a jab. Jordan parried, and suddenly they were fencing. Only it was with foam swords that flopped around at every opportunity.

Jordan ended up winning by slicing his sword across Blake's abdomen. Blake looked down in defeat. "You cut me in half!"

"Perfectly balanced, as all things should be," Jordan declared. "You've bitten the dust, my friend."

"Not funny," Blake muttered as he got up to change his shirt which now had a large line of paint horizontally across it. Jordan bowed and I offered a slow clap. Most of us were just confused.

"Should we be leaving soon?" I asked Amber. We had packed all of our things, and only Blake and Jordan's fight had halted our actions.

"Yeah," she said. We double checked that we had taken everything before we stopped in front of the two cars we had used to come up here. Xavier had his car, meanwhile my mum was here.

"Have fun being in a car with Blake and Jordan," I sang as I waved goodbye to them, hopping into my mum's car with some effort. Amber jumped in next to me, and we drove off as I watched Ethan and Xavier load up the car while mumbling and groaning at Blake and Jordan who had become distracted again. They were trying to climb into the car through the windows.

>< >< ><

"Back to bed," I sighed as I climbed into my hospital bed. My mum had received some scolding from the doctors who suggested that I would have to stay in bed until my health improved.

Basically, more boredom with a side of nothing to do. Amber had to go straight home, so I was left with an empty room and a TV. Like I hadn't already watched every TV show I was even vaguely interested in.