6. Nishant's Flight

"I need coffee... nice frothy, foamy, sugary coffee," chuckled Anikaa as she closed her bedroom door and crept downstairs. Bahadur was still in the hall, drawing curtains and switching off lights. He straightened up at once when he saw Anikaa and rushed to see what she wanted.

"Bahadur, Is anyone in the kitchen?" asked Anikaa.

"No mam, the cook just left. You want anything, I will get you," said Bahadur.

"I just wanted to have a cup of coffee," said Anikaa.

"I can make filter coffee. It is my speciality; I learned it from my mother," said Bahadur excitedly.

Anikaa accepted his offer and Bahadur dashed into the kitchen fetching coffee beans and milk. Within minutes, he made a warm, aromatic filter coffee and presented to Anikaa. It wasn't frothy or foamy but it was coffee. She thanked Bahadur and went to her library, to listen to some music and browse through books.

Her library was built magnificently. On one side there was a wall of bookshelf, made from pure teak. The books were personal collection of Ramnik, Shireen and Anikaa which ranged from romance to history, philosophy, thrillers, crime, mysteries and fiction. Anikaa had arranged the books herself in alphabetical order of their title. It was one of her favourite rooms in the house.

She picked up a marketing case book from Philip Kotler and sauntered to a huge L-shaped white couch which had large purple cushions. The sofa was placed on the opposite wall of the bookshelf, near a huge window. The curtains were drawn and Anikaa didn't bother to open it. She switched on the floor lamp and stretched lazily on the couch, laying her head against the pillows and soon got engrossed in studying marketing case studies of different companies. She was so absorbed in reading that she didn't notice someone coming in and sitting on the couch at the far end.

"Must be a remarkable book, that is keeping you awake," said a male voice.

The voice startled Anikaa, making her come out of her reverie. She frowned seeing Nishant grinning slyly.

"And, what is keeping you awake Nishant?" asked Anikaa.

"Well, an ample amount of sleep that I took this afternoon," said Nishant shrugging.

Nishant stretched his muscular arms and long legs on the couch. He was wearing a white shirt on casual blue chinos. His straight fringes were loosely covering his forehead and his stubble had grown over the weekend, outlining his sculpted jaw. He stared dauntingly at Anikaa for few seconds thinking that at this hour of the night, being alone in the library with him; she might excuse herself and go to sleep. But, Anikaa returned his gaze and then went back to her book which impressed as well as intrigued him. She sat impassively reading the book showing no signs of awkwardness or nervousness.

"You know when you left this evening with Rachel without informing anyone, I was also worried," said Nishant solemnly. Anikaa gazed at him incredulously.

"I thought you eloped with her," said Nishant brazenly.

"Elope?" smirked Anikaa. "What makes you think I will elope with her?" asked Anikaa stiffly.

"Well you two are always together, together, talking privately," said Nishant teasingly.

Anikaa understood his intended meaning. Nishant was a type who liked making fun of people's weakness such as- Shireen and Ramnik's relationship, Ria's simplicity. And, this time he had wandered too far. Anikaa could easily snub him for his vicious ideas but she tried to avoid any heated altercations with him as his sister was now engaged to Prashant.