28. Pit of Gnomons

Had it not been the full moon night, Anikaa assumed that they'd have seen nothing but darkness. It was the first time; Anikaa witnessed a deep blue sky holding thousands of glittering stars and the pure, enchanted moon. Jiyu was correct; the Sharad Purnima moon looked definitely closer to earth. They walked to a distance and then Jiyu signalled them to stop. Anikaa was awestruck with the serenity and the grandeur of the view. Slender slopes from both the directions cross- sectioned to form valleys. A thin stream was running at the bottom of the slope which glistened in the full moon-light, almost depicting the sacred nectar. And, there at a distance she saw the much revered, fathomless, snow-capped peaks of the majestic Himalayas.

Anikaa was rooted to the spot as she took in the splendour of the world's highest mountain range. Anikaa's earlier memories about Himalayas were related to her school textbooks and mythological serials. The mythological serials depicted that all the saints go for penance in Himalayas and Hindu's most revered god Lord Shiva abodes with his wife Parvati on Mount Kailash. Her geography textbook was crammed with the physical features and significance of Himalayas in bullet points-

· The Himalayan range prevents the piercing cold waves from Central Asia.

· The Himalayas acts as a climate division, thereby causing rainfall.

· The Himalayan region is rich in forest resources and yields good timber.

· It is the source of Ganges, Brahmaputra, Indus rivers and other tributaries.

· The Himalayan ranges have protected India from foreign invasion.

But, none of them described the ethereal aura of the celestial mountains that was standing in full glory. The pure bliss a man can feel just by watching the Himalayas from the distance was inexplicable. Now she knew why so many explorers, mountaineers, saints, scholars, philosophers and sages from all over the world were attracted to The Himalayas, how its sublime existence has inspired poets and writers to rhapsodize about the mighty mountains. It is the feeling of self-realisation that is incomparable, an unparalleled charm that pulls the very soul of the person.

Anikaa didn't remember for how long she kept staring at the snow-covered mountains but she was pulled out of her reverie when, Raymond shook her shoulders.

"Anikaa are you listening to me?" he shouted.

"Yeah...Where is Jiyu?" she asked.

"Great!" snorted Raymond. Jiyu again.

"I'm here only," said Jiyu bowing to Himalayas. Anikaa also followed his lead and bowed to Himalayas in reverence.

"Now I must tell you. In worst case scenario, you wish to go back to Munnar; you need to hold my bead and picture Munnar in your mind and you will be teleported in seconds," said Jiyu.

"Worst case scenario?" repeated Raymond raising his eyebrows.

But, Jiyu ignored his question.

"We have an hour of walk. Follow me and don't stop. Whenever you want to stop, notify me first," said Jiyu.

"So, if I want to pee I got to ask you," said Raymond snidely.

"Don't worry, you won't pee," said Jiyu and smiled.

"Damn," heard Anikaa.

They didn't took the route towards the valley but turned to the other direction where there was grey barren land stretched to miles- composing of rocks and uneven stones.