30. Reaching Munnar

Grass, it smells of freshly rained grass, thought Anikaa and opened her eyes reluctantly when a small drop of water fell on her cheeks. She stared at the dark clouds preparing themselves to empty their water cannons. She smiled and again a drop of water fell on her lips. She turned her head and saw Raymond lying on his front. His stubble had grown a bit more from the day before and his eyes were tired. But, he had the same smile stretched across his lips.

"Like what you see?" he asked.

"Not bad. But there is enough scope of improvement," said Anikaa smiling.

It had now started drizzling and Raymond turned around, now lying on his back.

"Looks like you can thrive in rain," he said seeing Anikaa smiling.

"Yes. I am pluviophile- rain lover," said Anikaa.

"And, I am Anikaaphile," said Raymond.

"That's not a word," said Anikaa.

"Then, I'll make one," smiled Raymond and winced as he lifted his arms.

"Are you hurt?" asked Anikaa remembering how Jiyu had hit him.

"No, just bruised."

"You think anyone will believe us," he asked.

"Do you want someone to believe you?" asked Anikaa.

"No. I don't care," said Raymond getting up. His muscles were sore.

"Let's go before we get drenched," he said offering his hand to Anikaa.

She stood up, holding his hand and looked at her watch. It was 5 am and early dawn was breaking through the sky. "Your house is beautiful," said Raymond looking at the villa. They were standing in the garden of Anikaa's Munnar home.

"I know. Let's see if the door is open," said Anikaa and they sauntered towards the door of the porch.

The door was open because Karan and Rachel were sitting in the living room. Rachel yelped and dashed towards Anikaa. As per her last experience, Anikaa had braced herself for Rachel's display of joy. She staggered back a little but controlled the force. Raymond was astounded when Karan engulfed him in a bear-hug. For next ten minutes, Rachel bawled uncontrollably. When, her sobbing stopped- Raymond told them the whole story.

"I knew something was wrong, because the moment you vanished- Rachel was back to her senses," said Karan.

"But, how can you go like that?" wailed Rachel.

"Rachel, save the tears for your retirement speech," said Anikaa.

Rachel opened her mouth and closed it, gulping the weight of emotions coursing through her. Only Anikaa would go to any length to save her and not care for a word of gratitude in return.

"So it was him all throughout," said Karan.

"It was him," assured Raymond.

"How did you know that mum met him before going to Thailand?" asked Raymond.

"I guessed it from the CCTV footage. The golden paint set was missing in the footage, two days before she went to the Thailand. She must have posted it to Bhagyashree," said Anikaa.

Anikaa now knew why the vase painting was coated with the layers of paint. Shalini wrote the riddle on the canvas as a clue, but never painted on it. While, Jiyu (when, in disguise of Shalini) unknowingly painted the vase on the canvas so as to be free of any suspicions.