25. The Attack on Rachel

Golden eyes or not, threat or no threat, without any second thought Rachel leapt to her feet and sprinted towards Anikaa squeezing her with her long arms. Anikaa stumbled back with the force with which Rachel welcomed her.

"Hi, to you too," said Anikaa, trying to gasp for air and hugged her back.

Rachel hesitantly pulled away from her; scanning her from top to bottom dreading any signs of injury.

Anikaa's clothes were little damp and her body was cold but her eyes had turned back to sensual brown again. She smiled when she saw anxious faces of Raymond and Karan.

"Where were you Anikaa?" asked Jiyu in his deep voice.

Anikaa turned and saw Jiyu standing there in her living room, his feet obviously off the ground.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I couldn't find you anywhere, so I came here looking for you," answered Jiyu.

"Well I just went out for a longggggg drive," drawled Anikaa lazily.

"Really? Where?" spat Raymond.

"Why should I tell you? Ask your dear friend Tara," said Anikaa.

"Anikaa, how did you know she was a Gnomon?" asked Raymond sharply.

"Don't speak to me in that tone," spat Anikaa.

"Or you'd what?" raged Raymond, slightly taken aback with Anikaa's insolence.

He was tired, angry and worried to hell for Anikaa, praying every minute for her to be safe. And, here she was standing in front of them without any trace of regrets, let alone apology.

Anikaa glared at him for few seconds and then said- "It was you, who decided to flirt with Tara in attempt to make me jealous. Remember?"

Raymond was abashed. Yes, it was true that he got up to entertain Tara to get reaction from Anikaa. But, how did she know and why was she blaring it out in front of everyone.

"Gnomons possess the power to lure people Anikaa," said Jiyu.

"I'm sure Raymond was not the only one pulled to her," he added assuringly. Of course, there was Milan.

"The point is you were not affected by her and your friends described various changes they noticed in you last evening. Do you...,"

"Nothing is wrong with me Jiyu. I'm fine, in fact better than fine," said Anikaa in a clipped tone.

"Anikaa get hold on your temper. None of us deserve your enmity for caring for you," said Jiyu sternly.

"I don't want your suggestions or instructions Jiyu. Thank you very much," said Anikaa angrily and whirled around to go upstairs.

She took one step and stopped dead when she heard Rachel's scream and a thud with which she fell on the floor. Karan reached her first followed by Anikaa who pelted to Rachel's slumped figure.

"Rachel....Rachel...open your eyes," said Anikaa shaking Rachel whose lips were now turned black in colour.

Jiyu crouched near Rachel's head.

"Turn her over," he said. Anikaa placed Rachel's head in her lap and turned her cautiously. A thin dart was protruding out of Rachel's neck. Jiyu pulled out the dart and a black maze mark appeared on Rachel's neck where the dart was stuck.

"What's this?" asked Karan leaning forward.

"It's the deadly mazze dart," said Jiyu examining the mark.