16. Breaking Ice

It was 6.30 am, when Anikaa woke up. She lazily stretched her body and peered at the balcony's door. The sky was unevenly streaked with grey clouds; she smiled thinking of the possibility of rain.

Her phone buzzed with an unknown number, she picked up the phone on the third ring.

"Anikaa," she said.

"Morning, Raymond here. Can we meet?" he asked tersely. Seems he didn't have a great night.

"Sure. 9.30. My house," said Anikaa impassively.

"See you then," said Raymond, his voice toned down.

"Not much of a verbose," said Anikaa staring at the phone.

She scrambled out of her bed and slid opened her balcony door sideways. Entering her balcony, she sauntered towards the railings and leaned on them, admiring the precious morning sight. Closing her eyes she stood still, trying to focus on different sounds- chirping of birds, rustling of leaves as one of her house helpers swept the lawn and the dreamy zephyr, smoothly caressing her body. Moving back, she straightened the canvas on the easel and sat on her stool, lifting her palette and brush dipped in the turpentine. She poured out some linseed oil and took a size 0 brush for working on fine details.

Anikaa lost track of time as she submerged herself in painting. It was 9 am, when the intercom rang. She wiped her hands in a tissue paper and went inside her room to receive the phone.

"Good morning mam, what time would you like to have breakfast?" asked Rachel.

Anikaa glanced at the wall clock and gave a quick command.

"Rachel, Raymond is coming at 9.30. We'll have breakfast with him or after he leaves," said Anikaa.

"Oh...," that's the only thing Anikaa heard before disconnecting.

After a warm shower, Anikaa strolled to her closet; blow dried her hair and wore a sleeveless, loose-fit, navy blue jumpsuit that was cropped at the hem. She gathered her semi-dried hair from both the sides and clipped them at the centre leaving it to cascade on her shoulders.

"Let's see what Raymond has in store," she said applying a subtle red lip shade.

It was 9.30 am sharp, when Anikaa entered the living room. Rachel was waiting for her, ready with her Ipad. She was about to pose a question about Raymond, when Bahadur entered the living room with Sturrock brothers at his heels.

"Mam, Mr. Karan Stircock and Raymond Stircock to see you," said Bahadur earnestly.

It was quite a sight, when the Sturrock brothers' eyes widened with disbelief and Rachel coughed and spluttered. Anikaa grinned and excused Bahadur who was unable to understand the reason behind the changing colour on faces.

"Well that was quite an introduction," said Karan hugging Rachel and then Anikaa.

Anikaa looked at Raymond who looked every bit charming in casual white t-shirt, jeans and inviting stubble. As, if he perceived her glance, he looked straight in her eyes and Anikaa glanced away.

"What're you doing here?" asked Rachel.

"Well, Raymond was coming here for discussing some business with Anikaa, so I also joined his wagon. Gives me an excuse to see you," said Karan giving his boyish grin.

Rachel's face turned rose- warm. She could feel Anikaa's eyes boring into her, demanding answers. She'll be having a hell lot of explaining to do.

"Why don't we do our meeting after breakfast and then Rachel can take you out to see our new tea garden," said Anikaa.

"Sounds excellent," said Karan and they headed to the garden.