26. The Howling Forests

If something called as 'time travel' existed, then it was this. Anikaa could only feel the bead getting warmer between her fingers. Her eyes were opened and she could only see blackness with string of lights flashing and swishing by. She felt as if she was on the supersonic elevator and her body- light as a feather was sucked into an unknown space. Next moment, she felt the solid ground under her feet; she stumbled and fell on the ground. She got up and saw Raymond getting up to his feet at a distance.

"Where are we?" she said looking around in the darkness.

"Oh no...," gasped Jiyu behind Anikaa.

"What's wrong?" asked Raymond.

"Shhh....on the count of one, you see the shade of light-green light over there," pointed Jiyu at a distance where there was a misty light-green light, "run over there. Do not stop at all. And, cover your ears."

"But, where are we?" asked Raymond.

"The Howling Forests."

"But, there isn't any sound, just the darkness," argued Raymond. Jiyu didn't wait to give any reply.

"3...2...1...Go..." said Jiyu and both of them ran behind him, covering their ears.

Raymond considered it as absurd, but his doubts were soon settled. Next moment, all the trees, plants and flowers were howling in a shrill tone. Raymond thought that they will attack them, but they didn't move from their places, just kept on howling.

It took them almost ten minutes to get out of the forests as they ran breathlessly towards the light-green light. Anikaa couldn't help noticing that Jiyu was not levitating off the ground but was running like them with good speed.

"Huh....huh..., what was that?" asked Raymond panting as they reached in the light- green shade of the light.

"The howling forests- is very dangerous. The plants don't attack anyone but their howling can deafen you, make you mad. One in hundred can survive the howling forests; people hardly come out of their alive."

"Well, the stats just changed- three of hundred," said Raymond.

"But, how did we end up there?" asked Anikaa.

"A slight mistake on my part. I apologise, we'll have to walk to the land of Gnomons," said Jiyu looking around.

"We are still not there yet?" asked Raymond frowning.

"I'm afraid- not yet."

**************************