14. Meeting Jiyu Again

Anikaa was dazed with mixed feelings of shock and surprise. Her mind was again filled with questions, confusion and apprehension. Where is Shalini Sturrock? What happened to her? Why did she write this message? What does this riddle mean? And, why can I see this riddle only in moonlight? she mused. The mystery had turned a new leaf and she had no other alternative but to see Jiyu again.

"It's like every day I have a new reason to see him," she said.

"But, what else can I do? I can't confide in anyone but him. It's been a long story since my arrival in Munnar and nobody will believe it," she muttered.

As the moon sailed behind the clouds, she decided to change her soiled & stinking clothes. One of her favourite silk wear was now covered with blotches of paint and reeking of turpentine which was beginning to give her headache.

"Gosh! I am sure I have inhaled fumes more than medicinally permitted," she said wincing.

She was about to leave the gallery when it struck her that anyone could read the riddle in the moonlight. She contemplated whether anyone would come up.

"But, who is going to come here? I am on first floor of my well-guarded, safely- secured villa. Who is going to turn up here for this painting? No one knows about its secret," she thought.

But somehow, she was not able to convince herself. The faint sound that is known as 'gut feeling', 'instinct' or 'sixth sense' forced her to carry the canvas inside her bathroom. It was the only place which was well- ventilated besides her bedroom and where nothing would be spoiled because of turpentine fumes. She showered again, pouring copious amount of soap to get rid of the pong of turpentine and changed to another set of pyjamas.

Cuddling in her bed, she couldn't help thinking about the series of inexplicable events again- Mr. Sturrock's invitation, meeting with Jiyu, Shalini's vase painting, Himkhasa tribe, gems story and now this painting with a riddle. She closed her eyes and her mind swerved to her family. She was glad that everyone was in Canada- safe and away from these mysterious happenings. "Gosh, I am missing them," she said. At that very moment, as if her mother sensed it, her cell phone buzzed with Shireen's number.

"Mom," she said picking up the phone in a controlled voice, keeping her emotions in check.

"Hello, what are you doing KOOCHI?" asked her mother fondly.

KOOCHI was Anikaa's pet name that her family used whenever they felt overwhelmingly in love with her.

"Nothing mom, just reading some books," she lied.

"Are you okay? You sound stressed." OMG, how does she know that?

"I am fine mom, just tired. It was a long day and I went to see some new properties."

"Hmm...Don't overwork yourself. How is Rachel?" asked Shireen.

"She is good."

"Yes...Hang on...O here; Prashant wants to talk to you."

"Hey, what's up Swingy Moods?" asked Prashant cheerfully.

"Nothing interesting, you tell me."

"I'm having a blast, you should have come."

"No, thank you. I'm not interested in attending anymore family weddings. My quota is full for this year," said Anikaa truthfully.

"By the way, at least fifteen aunties have submitted their sonny boy applications to mom," chuckled Prashant.

"And what did mom said to them?" asked Anikaa.

"Not mom. I told them you're gay," quipped Prashant leading Anikaa to hysteria of laughter. The repartee between them always elevated Anikaa's low spirits. She felt better talking to him about, weather, food, business, and then he gave her interesting analysis of several guests and how he spent a crazy day taking all the cousins to shopping.