Chapter Eight: The Rise of Umbitch

"You guys coming?" Madison asked, looking back to her group of friends that had fallen behind.

"Yeah we'll catch up," Mallory said.

"Save us a seat," Blaire shouted back.

"All right," Madison said suspiciously, but she walked towards Defense nonetheless.

"What are we gonna do about these bets?" Mallory asked once Madison was out of earshot.

"Can't we just do what we did last year? Hide it from her and have meetings once a week at lunch?" Blaire suggested.

"That's true. She didn't notice last year," Carter said.

"But that's because she ate lunch with Cedric most days. Now if she plans to sit with us, she might notice that we're gone once a week," Mallory pointed out.

"Not if she eats with the twins," Carter pointed out.

"But George'll be at the meetings too," Blaire said.

"Oh yeah that's true. Wait but what about Fred?" Carter asked.

"What about him?" Mallory asked.

"Don't you think he'll notice if his twin is M.I.A once a week?" Carter said.

"Oh yeah. Didn't think about that," Mallory said.

"Plus Fred will notice if George is hanging around us more often. In case you haven't noticed, we all haven't exactly been mates in the past," Blaire commented.

"I'm still mad about that prank they pulled in my third year," Mallory said.

"Ah come on Mal. Your eyebrows grew back after a month," Blaire said with a playful smile.

"Yeah after a month," Mallory grumbled.

"Oh, don't be so pouty," Blaire said, giving her a light kiss on the cheek as she linked their arms.

"I have a right to pout!" Mallory exclaimed.

"The twins have pranked Madison loads of times and she still talks to them," Carter said.

"That's because she fancies one of the ginger demons," Mallory spat.

"Well she manages not to hold a grudge against George and she doesn't fancy him," Carter said.

"She can't hate George when she fancies Fred. Those two are a package deal," Blaire said.

"Weren't we having a serious conversation?" Carter asked, bringing the conversation back to the topic at hand.

"Yeah, but I think we're screwed there," Mallory said.

"Maybe not," Blaire said with a mischievous look.

"Ooh, you have the look," Mallory said with a large smirk.

"The look?" Carter asked.

"The look that says Blaire is scheming," Mallory said.

"Not scheming - planning," Blaire corrected.

"Well then what are you," Mallory began using air quotes, " 'planning?' "

"Well..."

The three girls continued to talk as Blaire discussed her plan.

"Do you really think it'll work?" Carter asked as they walked into the Defense classroom.

"If we play our cards right," Blaire said, glancing to Madison. The girl was flipping through her book without a care in the world. "absolutely."