Chapter Ten: "Fooled Around and Fell in Love"

Mallory and Blaire waited in a little alcove by the Great Hall.

"Where are those kids?" Mallory asked impatiently, "we're going to be late."

"Just give them a minute," Blaire said, squeezing her impatient girlfriend's hand.

"But they're taking forever! They're second years for Merlin's sake! It's not like they could have gotten lost!"

"I know. I know, but give them just a little longer."

At Blaire's words, their four second year spies exited the Hall, and started heading their way.

"Status report?" Mallory asked.

"Well she tried talking to Harry Potter and Ron Weasley," Claire, one of the Ravenclaws who helped prank the twins last year, said.

"And?" Mallory implored.

"They brushed her off." Claire replied.

"Good, what else?" Blaire asked.

"She sat down with Fred and ate," Derek said, the other Ravenclaw prank helper.

"Good. Good. Now did they seem awkward? Any laughter? Smiling?" Mallory continued asking.

"They weren't awkward at all," Spencer, one of the Slytherin helpers, said.

"They looked really comfortable," Lacey chimed in with a smirk.

"How comfortable?" Blaire asked, a smirk growing.

"Quite. They held hands most of lunch and walked out together. Still holding hands," Lacey answered proudly.

"Your plan worked better than we thought," Mallory said before she pulled a small coin bag out of her pocket. She paid the spies and reminded them to rotate with some of the others for next week's meeting before hurrying off with Blaire to the greenhouses.

"I think they'll get together sooner than we thought," Blaire commented with a smirk.

"I still stand firmly in my belief they won't get together until after Christmas," Mallory said as she and Blaire trudged outside, "plus I put twenty Galleons on it."

"I think it'll be sooner," Blaire said. She had put the same amount on a wager saying they'll get together before Christmas. Some people were even so bold as to say that they'll get together before Halloween.

"Well, even if we're wrong about when they get together, their relationship could open up for plenty of other wagers," Mallory said.

"What other things could we bet on?"

"Who says 'I love you' first, for starters."

"Oh that's true. My money's on Fred."

"Mine too. He's head over heels already."

"You got that right," Blaire said as they walked into the Herbology greenhouse to see that class had already started. Professor Sprout gave them an understanding look before they took their places.

Most of the class went right back to the lesson, not giving them a second thought, but Madison's eyes were trained on them. Her blue eyes gave them a questioning look, but she said nothing. Blaire and Mallory did their best not to notice as Professor Sprout continued the lesson.

****

It was during her Friday night detention that Madison almost broke and almost gave in. She kept frantically scribbling the line over and over.